"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE-50 Handset clip (Ship phone)

Started by stub, October 13, 2011, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi,
   I finally found an original handset clip for the ship version AE- 50. Got this one thanks to Steve Hilsz. ;D These were held in place with rivets. This is some kind of copper colored tempered steel and it is  .085 in dia. If any one wants to make some for their phone, pm me and I will snail mail a paper tracing. Now if we can find the rivets, it would be a little easier to make this repair ::) Good luck and have fun bending them ;D  If I can help send pm!
                                                                                                                                                   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on October 13, 2011, 05:55:31 PM
Good luck and have fun bending them ;D  If I can help send pm!
                                                                                                                                                   stub

Sure, bend me some and here's my mailing address  ;) (Just Kidding)

So your Beige 50 had a broken one too?  Someone ( think it might have been Steve Hilsz) said to use welding rod to make new ones.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Black 50 had none! Steve did get it off a refurbished painted sand, soft plastic , 50 . :o
                                                                                                                                           stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on October 13, 2011, 11:18:06 PM
Terry,
         Black 50 had none! stub

You got a Beige 50 from Steve though, correct? And you had a black 50 that previously had the clips but both were broken/missing? Copying the ones from the Beige 50?

Terry

stub

Terry,
 No sand 50, black only.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

I created some from piano wire and painted them black for my AE50--don't remember how I knew how to shape them, though---great thought to get a tracing done! You can barely see them here:

ntophones
--nto

AE_Collector

Nothing like an AE50 in the kitchen. I have one there too!

Terry

stub

ntophones,
             I think yours are fine!!!!!    I wonder where that pattern came from? ::)

Re: What do you think about the ringer of this phone?
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there--
I made the clips. They aren't that great, but, as of now the best I can do.
I ended up using some old antenna cable (copper center.) Very pliable and the right size. Then, I used the piano wire I bought (very stiff--couldn't bend it), for the bar in the back, to hold old copper wire, which I used instead of clips.
It doesn't look too bad, if you don't look at it too closely. But, they work.

Stub--
Thank you so much for the pattern and the pictures. They really helped me, but I couldn't get as good a clip as yours.
As you can see, in the third picture, my clips are not even on the inside, which bugs me, but, I kept getting worse the more clips I made, so I decided to call it a day on clip building.  
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Oh, now that you mentioned it about the piano wire--I obviously slept since doing the clips!
I used the piano wire for the retaining rod, as you did, but found that a clothes hanger worked very well for the clips! Wow, how could I forget! I actually had fun doing them with my little jig I bought.
ntophones
--nto