News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Explosive Atmosphere 320 on eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 28, 2015, 02:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I guess this happens from time to time . . . 

Seller described the phone as "You are bidding on a World War Two Western Electric Type 320 ROTARY DIAL EXPLOSION PROOF Telephone.  This rare and unique telephone is in good condition - please refer to the multiple pictures i've listed and message me with any questions you may have.  The front is marked "320 Type Telephone Set", "Western Electric", "Made in USA".  The handset is marked "Western Electric Company", "USA", "F 6 W".  These phones were used by the military as they were explosion proof.  Measures approx. 10 ¼" in diameter x 7" deep.  See pictures for more details.  GREAT addition to any collection!" and is only asking $13.89 for shipping. I guess if it sells for the $198 BIN asking price, $20 or so could be taken out of that to cover the extra shipping charges.

I think the seller knows not of which he sells with that contrived and interesting application for the phone.

Mr. Bones

Very cool phone! 8)

Always wanted me one of them rare, WWII G handsets... ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

I don't think that is the original handset.  I think the original may have been destroyed during the Korean War.

WEBellSystemChristian

After all, we needed good, futuristic Western Electric quality to stand up to mortars, grenade explosions, artillery HEAT blasts, and constant nuclear fallouts that the Nazis were dropping on us in the Continental United States during World War 2!!!

:-\ ;D :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

I shipped one of these (minus the handset) in a USPS large flat rate priority mail box once.  It was a tight squeeze!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 28, 2015, 06:47:24 PM
After all, we needed good, futuristic Western Electric quality to stand up to mortars, grenade explosions, artillery HEAT blasts, and constant nuclear fallouts that the Nazis were dropping on us in the Continental United States during World War 2!!!

:-\ ;D :o
The Nazis may have planned on attacking the Continental United States during World War 2, but I understood that the war ended before they got a chance to do so.

paul-f

Quote from: andre_janew on June 28, 2015, 04:13:08 PM
I don't think that is the original handset.  I think the original may have been destroyed during the Korean War.

...and I'd be really surprised if that handset is marked F6W - or F-anything.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Forgot the eBay link and in finding it, see the seller has reduced the price to $188.00 BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-1940S-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-TYPE-320-ROTARY-DIAL-EXPLOSION-PROOF-TELEPHONE-/321793843968

There are 3 other 320s on eBay right now:

Rare Western Electric 320 Type Rotary Explosion Proof Mid Century Phone  ($360 BIN + $50 shipping  --  361269690964)
WWII 1940'S WESTERN ELECTRIC TYPE 320 ROTARY DIAL EXPLOSION PROOF TELEPHONE ($199 auction + shipping -- -221813425129)
Rare Western Electric 320 Type Rotary Explosion Proof Mid Century Phone  ($349 BIN + shipping -- -371362595259)

Interesting how one seller at some point in time used "explosion proof" and it carries over to all other auctions with one of the sellers saying it was used in mines in explosive conditions, another saying nothing about the phone and the third using the same phrase that started this topic.

Guess caveat emptor is the right phrase in all 4 of these listings, if not many or most on eBay.

andre_janew

Also note the wide variation in price.  Interesting how a certain make and model of phone can have both civilian and military applications.

Sargeguy

These are really not that rare, every grain elevator and coal mine had one, and they are pretty much indestructible.  I have owned two, and paid less than $100 for each.  If you buy one make sure you get the bracket, and that the phone screws all the way onto the bracket.  Even so these things are white elephants-you want one until you actually get one!  This is one phone you could actually use as a boat anchor. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dave F

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 30, 2015, 11:11:42 PM
<snip> ...  Even so these things are white elephants-you want one until you actually get one!  ...

I have to disagree with that thought.  I have a 320, and I'm still happy that I do!  The biggest challenge was finding a genuine W.E. key  for the (unnecessary) 23A lock.  That took some serious searching.  Eventually, I'll install the 320 in the bathroom right next to my 1942  5gallon/flush Kohler Wellworth toilet -- a proper location, if there ever was one!

DF

HarrySmith

Quote from: Dave F on July 01, 2015, 12:31:19 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on June 30, 2015, 11:11:42 PM
<snip> ...  Even so these things are white elephants-you want one until you actually get one!  ...

I have to disagree with that thought.  I have a 320, and I'm still happy that I do!  The biggest challenge was finding a genuine W.E. key  for the (unnecessary) 23A lock.  That took some serious searching.  Eventually, I'll install the 320 in the bathroom right next to my 1942  5gallon/flush Kohler Wellworth toilet -- a proper location, if there ever was one!

DF

Where did you find a key? I need one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 01, 2015, 01:29:48 PM
Where did you find a key? I need one!
Harry,

From your question I gather that you too are happy to have a 320!

Whenever I have a conversation with anybody who is even remotely interested in phones I rattle off my extensive wish-list.  It is a thankless task that usually results in failure.  Fortunately, however, every so often I get lucky and manage to cross something off the list.  For me, the harder an item is to find, the more intent I am to find it.  That 23A key was a thorn in my side for years.  At long last, I ran across a guy who coincidentally had a lock and key from a scrapped 320.  So, now I have the key and also a spare lock!

The important message here (to all collectors) is to never ever give up, because all those neat things are still out there, waiting to be discovered.

Dave

HarrySmith

Yes, I actually have 1 1/2. The second one is missing the back. Neither have a key. Maybe I will ask Jody.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

For posterity, here is a picture of the 23A lock and key from a W.E. 320-type phone.

DF