News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tying up loose ends

Started by Sargeguy, November 28, 2011, 04:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have had a pretty decent week, I was able to talk Nilsog out of his original black painted screw-shaft 20-S, so I could complete my black Type 22 project (well almost, still need a base and a OST reciever, thumbscrew, 2-piece cup, screw for the shaft).  As luck would have it I found a screw shaft switchplate and screw on eBay, and then won an auction for another 20-S that apparently has the original black thumbscrew and 2-piece cup.  By this point I was broke, but then I found a writing shelf for my WE 301A that has a busted writing shelf.  These do not show up too often so I had to buy that as well.  I am anxiously awaiting the mail man as we speak.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Loose end #1

Western Electric 301A with *250* transmitter and 143A receiver

Started out as a pile of wood with a 7-digit transmitter attached.  The backboard had been sawn in half and there was a lot of water damage.  Oh yes, and chicken guano.  The nickel plating was all done by Dennis Halliworth.  Now I just need a couple batteries and a little re-wiring.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Kidphone

teka-bb

Definitly no longer a pile of wood. Nice looking phone.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

JukeboxRick

Hello Sargeguy,
What a beautiful phone!!! I,m jealous! What year & make is it?
Just yesterday I got my 317ah up & running thanks to Steve Hilsz out hear in AZ. He sent me (at no cost) a network & step by step wiring instructions to get it fired up & i,m thrilled! He,s a "super nice guy"!
Want to trade? HA! HA! just kidding! You have one " stunning" telephone!
                                                                                                                                       JBRick

HarrySmith

Nice looking woodie! Does that picture hanger support the weight of it with the magneto? And you are going to add batteries!?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Its a Western Electric 301A "Fiddleback" from the late 1890's or so.  It had a 7-digit transmitter originally so it's an old one.  The picture hanger is a heavy duty one and supported the weight for the 2 minutes I needed to take pictures.  I intend to put a couple wet cells in it once I pay down my BillMeLater account.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Loose End #2:

Western Electric 333 Wall Telephone 291w transmitter and 143w receiver with matching PAT. APPLIED for stamps:

This phone arrived in working condition but was coated in cruddy black paint over white splotches.  The receiver was also painted.  Luckily I had just restored a 333 that looked pristine but that I could not get working.  After open heart surgery the phone came through and now has a nice semi-gloss case with partial schematic.  It features the 291w transmitter, which was original issue for 20ALs but soon replaced by the 329.  These are hard to find.  It is covered with some shellac, which I will clean off eventually, but for now its working.  I added an old dial card, the original was a piece of cardboard with a handwritten number on it.  The only other addition I made to the phone was to swap the original cup with an ABT "PATENT APPLIED FOR" cup that seems to match the transmitter.  The 143w receiver is also stamped "PATENT APPLIED FOR".  This helps date the phone to 1916-17 I think. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Owain

Two very nice restorations which will preserve these phones for future generations.

JukeboxRick

Sargeguy,
Looking at your beautiful 301 got me inspired on wood phones!  I have the 317ah I mentioned a couple days ago which I love, but your telephone is so sweet! I went looking today at wood phones & found a WE model 85 that is complete except is missing the transmitter voice piece. The mag is chrome (works) with a design on it. The case is very nice except the shelf is damaged ( water?). Not trying to hijack your thread but your knowledge & thoughts would help me on a possible buy. She wants a $100.
Like I mentioned above, Steve got me up & running with my 317 & I believe this 85 would be just as easy ( knock on wood )! Thanks,
                                                      JBRick

Sargeguy

Transmitters can be found fairly easily.  As far a s I know Western Electric Type 85 fiddlebacks did not have magnetos, they were common battery sets.  Also, the magnetos in old WE fiddlebacks are painted red.  Water damage can be tricky, it can usually be sanded out depending on how deep and where it is located.  Damage to the molding around the edge is worse than in the back and top.  $75-100 is reasonable for a fiddleback that is almost complete.  The type of reciever is important, if it has an OST (outside terminal reciever) it is a definite steal at that price.  Do you have any pictures?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JukeboxRick

I don,t have any pictures but I,m going back in the morning to take some & I will try ( OH BOY! ) to put some up"but that will be a new experience"! :-\ But you know, I,m not positive it,s a WE model 85! I talked to Steve Hilsz ( wealth of knowledge ) & he told me how to check the manufacture idenity clues! He told me it could also be a SC.
As far as the damaged shelf its fairley extensive & more than likely needs replacment. Sargeguy, it has the transmitter unit, it just needs the screw on voice bakelite cone! I will take several photos & upload them on my " faster than the speed of light " aol dialup! ;D How many manufactures do you think produced fiddlebacks?        Thanks,         JBRick

JukeboxRick

Sargeguy, One last thing. Its NOT an OST receiver " but " it does have  three outside terminals at the top of the backboard?    JBRick

Sargeguy

Sounds less and less like a WE fiddleback.  Type 84s did have three terminals at the top.  A lot of companies made fiddleback-type phones and they were all pretty similar in design.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This one took a while: 

A payphone door and lock/key for my Western Electric 3-slot.  These are one of the more overpriced items on eBay these days with examples selling in the $100-150 range.  I found this one with the lock and key for $75, a relative bargain.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409