News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice E bay finds

Started by Grumpy99705, December 13, 2011, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy99705

It's been an interesting couple weeks for me. Ive been on an Ebay binge and got, what I think are some good deals.
I really need y'alls opinion as to whether or not I'm getting decent deals.
This first one, was a great deal in my opinion.
a SC 1243, what appears to be a WE354, and a Northern #1. plus a 500 for good measure. all for $35 including shipping.
The second was a 5302, and 2 500's all for $53 incl s/h
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Grumpy99705

I'm probably happiest personally about the $20 Kellogg 700, that after some rubbing compound, cleaning the contacts and lubing the plunger, works like a charm and looks darn good doing it
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

GG

Nice stash you got there:-)  That's not a Northern Electric #1, it's a North Electric (edit: corrected for dyslexic error, reversal of names, sheesh!), and the more rare version with the metal housing.  Finding an F1 handset for that WE 354 should be fairly easy: for instance look for a smashed-up 302 that's going for cheep and use it as a parts source.  

The SC 1243 looks like it could be a candidate for the Paul Rose treatment: strip it to bare metal and buff the handset.  The dial on that one should be fairly easy to fix, or send it in for repair: in any case it's the original SC dial for that phone .

To get the stickers off the 500s, soak the housings in warm soapy water and gently scrub with a brush and dish detergent to get most of it off, then dry the housings and use vegetable oil to get the rest of the adhesive residue off, then buff the housings.  The 500 in the top photo says "1955" to me, though possibly reconditioned in the late 60s if that's a G3 handset on it.  

Once you get all of those cleaned up they'll look excellent.  What other 50-year-old objects do people have that can be made almost as good as new with nothing more than a decent cleaning, eh?  

Wallphone

It looks like you got an instant collection there. The one phone looks like a metal NORTH Galion desk set. There are wiring diagrams for either a WE or AE dial so you have your choice there. If you are going to put a dial in it, PM me and I will send you some info that I have on it.
Doug Pav

LarryInMichigan

The metal North itself is worth more than $35.

Larry