"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Miniature ringer installed in AE 40

Started by RotoTech99, February 15, 2016, 09:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Recently, thanks to some advice and help from CRPF members, I completed installing a miniature ringer in a AE40, but also left in place the option to put a low impedance straight line AE D-56542A ringer in later.

The photos attached show the placement and wiring for it.

The miniature ringer is a ITT 151/153, or M1A equivalent ringer.

Thank You,
RotoTech99

Phonesrfun

If it works, how can you fault success?
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Why not move the red ringer lead from L2 to 5. Electrically identical but gives purpose to the lead stored at 5, gets the red and black ringer leads closer together and removes one spade from the busier L2 screw terminal.

Terry

RotoTech99

The #5 terminal is empty, there are no other connections there except for the wire from L2 which originally went the old ringer. That wire is stored, so it is not carrying a load.

This particular AE40 is also a early model AE40 where only the transmission condenser is mounted on the base, and the ring condenser on the housing.

So only L2, 4, and L1 have connections involving the ringer; as the wire soldered to L2 that was originally used with the original ringer is stored at 5 where no other electrically active connection is, it isn't carrying a load.

Also, that gives the option to use it if I put a straight line biased D-56542A, the low impedance biased ringer in it; (the original installed in mine was a 30 cycle party line ringer).

I forgot to mention also that the wiring configuration I am using hapened by chance as the green condenser lead that was originally at a hookswitch contact popped free, and I needed a spot to terminate it at that wouldn't make for a bigger issue, so 4 was a good choice to put it at, and provide a terminal to connect a ringer wire to, giving a good ringer circuit that wouldn't cause a unexpected line issue.

I'm trying to minimise changes in wiring, and stay as close to original configuration as I can.

Thanks for your feedback😊
RotoTech99