News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what am I doing wrong!!!!

Started by Doug Rose, August 16, 2012, 11:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am trying to take the plunger out of a corroded 202 and place it into a beautiful 202. Two hours of relaxing vacation and I cannot get it to tighten. it was fine in the piece of sh*t, I mean corroded one. Took it out exactly like it was in the bad boy. I have had this issue before so I usually stay away from doing this. Any ideas???....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It looks right from here.  Is the problem that the screw will not tighten in the threaded hole at the bottom of the plunger?

Larry

Phonesrfun

If first you don't succeed........

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 16, 2012, 12:28:36 PM
It looks right from here.  Is the problem that the screw will not tighten in the threaded hole at the bottom of the plunger?

Larry
thanks Larry....screw tightens fine, plunger wobbles and calls disconnected. Plunger is not sitting tight between the reeds....Doug

As for the two stooges....nyuk nyuk nyuk....wise guys.....kidfrustrated
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Inside the tube of the cradle there is a small bakelite piece that is right at the end, where the plunger and spring come out. Keeps the plunger from wobbling.  It was missing is the one I was trying to repair. I got it out of the corrroded 202 and I am done with it!! A good lesson REMEMBERED" as I knew this from past exeperince.  ???

Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Doug, do you have a trick for removing those phenol bushings without breaking them? Has anyone found a substitute part to use when they are broken or missing?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....I got lucky after two hours of frustration. Just a little chip. I used tweezers ad an awl. I was surprised as I have broken many more than I have saved. Usually they snap in half, this one was plyable and not brittle....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have an Imperial which had been made into a lamp and was missing the bushing.  I made a very kludgey replacement using a small piece of threaded tube, of the kind used for mounting lighting fixtures.  I wrapped it in a layer or two of electrical tape, dropped a bit of super glue on the outside of the tape, and stuck it into the opening on the bottom of the cradle.  The opening was just about the right diameter for the plunger, and it works.

Larry 

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 16, 2012, 01:16:28 PM
If first you don't succeed........

And if you are on holidays....have another Rum & Coke......

Terry

Phonesrfun

David,

There are a couple folks that have repro bushings.  I can't look now since I am not at home. Iwill look for the contact later.  I may have posted it somewhere in this forum....

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Is the spring compressed, maybe not enough spring tension to hold plunger steady.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

Bill, I found your post from 10/17/10 but it just says some guy in Arizona was making the repro bushings.

Rotary Phone Forum
  Rotary Phones
  Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair (Moderator: BDM)
  Proper 202 disassembly procedure?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: poplar1 on August 17, 2012, 12:33:51 AM
Bill, I found your post from 10/17/10 but it just says some guy in Arizona was making the repro bushings.

Here's that link...........

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3625.0

Bill

Quote from: poplar1 on August 16, 2012, 06:21:53 PM
Doug, do you have a trick for removing those phenol bushings without breaking them? Has anyone found a substitute part to use when they are broken or missing?
I've done it only a couple times, and not recently, but I seem to recall that it is helpful to have a tool with a right angle bend in the end. Get a very small cheap screwdriver, and bend the last 1/8 inch at a right angle. Or get some dental picks with right angle bends on the tips (I get them from my dentist) and use two or three of them at once. You can get under the edge of the bushing and work it out.

Bill