News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The 9/51 500 T Has Arrived

Started by rp2813, May 16, 2014, 08:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

And in the correct number of pieces, given the sketchy packing job.

It's "matching" dates in the sense that it appears to have all the original components, but the range runs from 6/51 to 9/51.   The long mounting cord is dated 55, and there is currently no handset cord.

Here are some pix.  First, the bottom.
Ralph

rp2813

The handset.
Ralph

rp2813

The chassis
Ralph

rp2813

The dial.

It does have the reverse painted bezel as I suspected.  Any suggestions on how to clear up the cloudy plastic?
Ralph

rp2813

The original housing.

I didn't take any pictures of the outside.  It has some paint flecks and scuffs, but I think it will clean up fine.  There's a blemish right in the center of the cradle that could be a minor cigarette burn.  The handset hides it, so it's not too bad.

All in all, not a bad deal for $16.50 if you don't count the shipping charges.
Ralph

paul-f

It's a great phone for the price.  Congratulations, Ralph!

The cloudiness on the number plate is probably yellowing of the clear plastic.  If it were mine, I'd resist the temptation to use harsh chemicals on it and live with the color as a "feature" of age.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotarDad

That's a nice one Ralph!  I agree with Paul F, leave the bezel as is -and be careful not to polish the matte anti-glare surface off.  Just a light cleaning and you're good...

Can you confirm the plastic switch hook contact cover is clear, not black.  My 4/51 has a clear one also and I was a bit surprised it wasn't black.
Paul

WesternElectricBen

rp2813

I'll double check the switch hook cover.  It looks clear in the chassis picture.  I'm pretty sure black would have gotten my attention.

Thanks for the advice on the bezel.  I'll hit it with a mild cleaner and then maybe something non-threatening (Pledge? Glayzit?) that will give it a temporary shine (but not a glare).  The paint looks yellowed in the picture below, but it's really more of a pale chartreuse.  The characters look as though they're supposed to glow in the dark.

I installed a 1960 straight handset cord and hooked it up at the desk in my shop for testing.  It dials out, transmits, and rings fine.  I called a number that would provide a recorded message and didn't notice any difference in volume from the 1960 500 it replaced.  I think that for where I'm located in relation to my switch, the reception won't be any louder than average.

Ralph

david@london

ralph -

congrats on getting this one

i agree that the dial bezel numbers' colour is good as it is......... interesting that it's charteuse when seen first hand. that's a pale green ?

also the small operator font is a great feature.

david.

rp2813

Thanks David. 

It's really a matter of how the light is hitting the bezel.  It doesn't look all that bad under average indoor lighting conditions.  The letters and numbers appear to be a pale green, reminiscent of radium markings on old clocks, etc. 

The black number card insert gives the phone a sort of "Darth" industrial look and I think it's appropriate for the desk in my shop, so I'm going to clean it up and use it there for the time being.

I guess I'm looking at a bit of a challenge with removing all of the paint over-spray from the housing. 
Ralph

paul-f

The little paint dots should rub off easily after soaking with water.  Stubborn ones usually come off with a little pressure from a fingernail.

The housing can be soaked.  It might be better to lay a wet cloth on the top surface of the dial plate than to immerse it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Nice find on the '51, Ralph.  I'm sure you'll have it looking good in no time.  I really like using Novus2 after giving the plastic a bath.  As far as the bezel, if you use Novus2 just use it lightly and don't rub too hard.  That greenish color is how you spot them in a crowd as being the older ones.  Novus and a nice soft cloth will remove the stubborn paint splatters.  But like Paul said, soaking and lightly pushing them with a finger nail will usually work too, followed by some polish.  Nice phone!

rp2813

Thanks Paul and Dennis for the advice.  A couple of spots of paint did come off with my fingernail, but most will not and I didn't want to risk adding scratches.

So if I soak the housing I don't have to worry about the yellow date inside of it disappearing?
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Ralph, I've been told that putting Vaseline over that date will protect it from the bath.  I've never tried it but others have reported positive results.