News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill simply doesn't know phones.

Started by Greg G., August 18, 2009, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Same outfit, different store.  I was at the main Goodwill in downtown Seattle today and came across this gem.  Keep in mind that the Goodwill near me (different store) is where I found the green 1971 SC for $1.99, and it came with a 4-prong to modular adapter.  No such deals this time.  And it was in the "collectibles" area to boot!

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

rp2813

Clueless overpricing often runs rampant at various thrift stores.  I personally don't think Goodwill knows anything about anything.  Their stores around here have become nothing but junk that you'd see out on the curb, and I rarely set foot inside one anymore.  It's enough to make a person wonder if the local Goodwill retail stores are fronts for something else.  They have nothing worth buying.

That phone is going to gather some more dust for sure.
Ralph

Greg G.

That's why I much prefer Craigslist when looking for quality used items locally.  I still browse the local thrift stores now and then, but more often than not, even items I find that are in good condition that I may have been interested in I pass by when I look at the price.  

The pricing seems to vary widely depending on the store.  Contrast that pos yellow phone with the $1.99 SC I found at the Ballard GW:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

foots

Most places around usually are way overpriced for no reason, though sometimes good deals can be found on rare occasion.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

AET

Goodwill and St. Vinnies here told me they gut them for scrap and toss them out!
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Tom;
Tell them you'll double the scrap value, just save them for you.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on October 23, 2009, 09:28:14 PM
Goodwill and St. Vinnies here told me they gut them for scrap and toss them out!

I remember you saying that in another thread.  I make it a point now to try to ask thrift store personell what they do with them if they get them in.  
- Mike Row
e

AET

I have talked to them multiple times, and I told them I would pay well for them, and they said they'd save them for me, and I have yet to get my hands on any from either store.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 24, 2009, 01:03:06 AM
Tom;
Tell them you'll double the scrap value, just save them for you.
D/P
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

I called one and asked about rotaries too. They said that if the phone worked they would just sell it and if it didn't they would "recycle" it, which makes me  >:(. I can just see a 12/49 500 with a simple problem like missing a cord, and it getting "recycled" I then asked if they do get a "broken" rotary that they could put it in the back and call me, and that I'd even give them a bit of cash if they like. They said no they can't do that, again that made me even more  >:(! I will have to call back or go to the store in person perhaps as a different person for more negotiations. Luckily, at least they informed me that no one had given them a rotary phone in years.

AET

Sounds like my experience this week.  And to think it could be as simple as it has a 4 pronger on it so they can't test it.
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

Realistically there's no reason the manager couldn't stash the "broken" phone in a closet somewhere and tell no one but me or drop it off at a pickup location, but at least Petaluma doesn't have hardly any rotary phones for sale anymore, so none will end up in Goodwill.