"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes it's the little things....

Started by AET, October 24, 2009, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: bwanna on October 27, 2009, 03:52:47 PM
jonathan,   what did the wires in the box look like?

Donna, all the wires were plain old Bell System station wire. Beige or maybe gray plastic jacket and colored plastic wires inside that were red, green and yellow. Very, very basic, but nice heavy gauge wire that did the job. The conduit was ribbed metal and so were the boxes.

Tom, I hope you find your camera.
Jonathan

AET

Quote from: jsowers on October 28, 2009, 02:50:32 PM

Tom, I hope you find your camera.

So do I! I can't find the dang thing anyplace, my folks and syblings and I have all looked for it, and cannot find the blasted thing!
- Tom

jsowers

Many years ago, I moved back home after two years at school and somehow packed my checkbook in a box of record albums. That was back when a person could still buy records in a record store--about 1981. It fell down between two records and disappeared. It took me forever to find it. One day I was looking through the records and there it was. So it happens to us all.
Jonathan

bellsystemproperty

Near my house there is an old house that has been abandoned for many years and will be torn down soon. I went inside out of curiosity and on the walls I find old Bell System plugs and the adapters that let you plug modular into four prong. Of course, I unscrewed them off the wall and took them because I can use them to connect my rotaries. Too bad I didn't find a 302 ;D

McHeath

The 12/49' model 500 was in a cupboard in the laundry room. ;D

A few years ago there was a farm house that was being torn down near here, we were out walking one night and noticed the heavy equipment in the yard and the development signs for a new tract of homes going up.  So we wandered in, the doors were off and it looked like the crew had rummaged around looking for stuff.  Well shock of shocks, the whole place was furnished, even had clothes in the closets, just amazing.  Looked like the owner died, no one wanted anything in the house, and it was sold lock, stock and barrel to a developer who promptly tore it down intact.  On a desk in a home office room was a box of cancelled checks from the early 60's, and the phones were still in the house along with a medieval computer on that desk.  I was not into phones at the time, I only recalled noting that they were old rotaries.  My son took a 48 star flag that was in the basement on the wall, and that was all we salvaged. 

It was a pretty cool ranch style house probably built around 1950, a custom job, big windows, roman brick, and big with a basement.  (rare for here)  They cleared the land and built a bunch of neo-eclectic style homes on itty bitty plots of land. 

bellsystemproperty

Quote from: McHeath on October 29, 2009, 08:32:05 PM
The 12/49' model 500 was in a cupboard in the laundry room. ;D

A few years ago there was a farm house that was being torn down near here, we were out walking one night and noticed the heavy equipment in the yard and the development signs for a new tract of homes going up.  So we wandered in, the doors were off and it looked like the crew had rummaged around looking for stuff.  Well shock of shocks, the whole place was furnished, even had clothes in the closets, just amazing.  Looked like the owner died, no one wanted anything in the house, and it was sold lock, stock and barrel to a developer who promptly tore it down intact.  On a desk in a home office room was a box of cancelled checks from the early 60's, and the phones were still in the house along with a medieval computer on that desk.  I was not into phones at the time, I only recalled noting that they were old rotaries.  My son took a 48 star flag that was in the basement on the wall, and that was all we salvaged. 

It was a pretty cool ranch style house probably built around 1950, a custom job, big windows, roman brick, and big with a basement.  (rare for here)  They cleared the land and built a bunch of neo-eclectic style homes on itty bitty plots of land. 

Shame on you, letting innocent rotaries die. ;) Makes you want to go back in in time doesn't it? I plan on going back to this house soon (the house I was in) and actually checking the cupboards for phones(worth a shot), but to me this house seems more 302 eraish. I suspect the phones could be in the basement, which I didn't check since I was without a flashlight. Luckily the house won't be demolished for a long time considering that now the developer is poor and nobody's heard anything of this development. Although, considering there were modular adapters, it's possible they had some modular 500's. Hopefully not Trimlines, those I dislike, but if I saw one in the house I'd pick it up to give to one of you guys anyways.

AET

Ugh! I wish I could go back to before I was into phones. There was boxes of them at St. Vinnies about 10 years ago! For like a buck or two a piece!
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on October 29, 2009, 11:58:42 PM
Ugh! I wish I could go back to before I was into phones.

Something all of us have said a time or two.  You are not alone!
-Bill G