News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

rediscovered 1966 500D

Started by cchaven, October 19, 2010, 01:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

I flew back to my parents house for a few days this weekend and rediscovered a telephone that we had had since the late 70's as an extension phone.  It's a dark green 1966 Stromberg Carlson 500D.  I had used this phone for many hours as a teenager in the late 70's.  It's still all original and it has an interesting dial card with the old RCA logo on it.  It didn't clean up too badly, and Novus #2 removed  lots of pen marks on the dial numbers from where I had doodled while sitting talking on it.

Jeff

KeithB

It still has the original stubby strain relief on the handset cord, too!

jsowers

It's amazing how much crud one can get off a phone and how nice it still looks underneath. Yours looks great. Sometimes the transformation is amazing, especially the cords. I always take before and after pictures of my phones. Judging by the number card, your phone looks like it may have been part of an inter-office phone system at one time.

You're lucky to still have your childhood phone. Most all the phones from my childhood went back to the phone company about 1984. They were party line phones, so when the telco eliminated party lines, back they went. We only had the one black AE80 desk phone and my grandmother next door had a black AE50 wall phone with a spitcup handset. The AE80 I don't miss too much, but that AE50 jukebox phone was unique.
Jonathan

cchaven

I'm not sure how we came to have this phone.  We definately had it prior to the phone company breakup...and I'm pretty sure we were part of Southwestern Bell at the time.  Dad had it wired up down in our basement, where we eventually built a bedroom for me, so it was interesting to find it over the weekend and bring it back.  I left home in 1983. This was in St. Louis and prior to that my mother had lived in a rural area where we had the pleasure of being on a party line.

Jeff