News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE metal telephone on ebay. Model number??

Started by bob833, December 17, 2016, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob833

Hi , I have an AE wall telephone on ebay right now and I am not sure of the model number. It has a metal case with a spitcup receiver. Any help with this would be appreciated. I hope the link below works. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332065609617

?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

unbeldi

Hmm...

Could you collect all part numbers that are available from the components as complete as possible?
Also, the diagram may have a faded imprint of a catalog number in the upper right corner.   A complete high-res view of it would be helpful.

Most telsets by AE with this housing were for use on private PABX systems, not for use on the public network, I think there was only one in the 1940s,  no 44 perhaps ?, but that would have had a number 41 handset, not the No. 38 that you have.

bob833

Here is a picture of the upper left corner. The upper right where the ringer frequency is it has a very faded number that I think is 324A7. On the back of the dial is 821c and other numbers are covered by the housing.

unbeldi

AE made a series of PAX systems that had numbers of the format  3XAXX, such as 32A14.

Perhaps you can recognize the number better.  Sometimes it helps to take a high-resolution color picture and use digital filtering to enhance the image to bring out almost unreadable lettering.

AE_Collector

Likely an AE 42 but I knew them to come with type 41 handsets not older type 38. Could be correct or maybe the older handset was added later.

Looking again the cradle isn't right for a type 41 handset either.

Terry

stub

Terry,
          Cradle is for a 32A14 , and the induction coil ( 281901 A ) shows up in the 4055 catalog , 1934 , in the #3 , #4 , #4a, #7 , and in the AE 4055 A catalog , 1937 , pg. 41 , said it also came in the AE 21 as the anti-sidetone booster induction coil .The 38 handset has the updated kit for the 41 transmitter , mouthpiece , and conversion springs . The dial looks like the 51 or 51 A , but the 821 C was also used in the 183's . So I guess this is a AE 21 with the wrong updated handset and dial and hook . It's still a great phone  !!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: stub on December 18, 2016, 02:42:11 AM
Cradle is for a 32A14

Also used for Monophone upgrades to AE 21 wall phone and probably AST subsets.

Jack

bob833

Thanks for all the info, I guess I have a few "hybrids". The guys estate that they were selling his phones at had quite a few phones. I am a dumb ass, I should have bought them all. They said he did work for a phone company so maybe he mixed and matched different parts and models. The metal phone on the bottom right has a hole for a transmitter like an AE21 but has a receiver like the one pictured above.
It isn't critical to me that it has all the correct parts, I just don't want to give anyone some misinformation. 

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

bob833

Those phones on the table are the ones I bought, plus I bought a few more I have already sold. They must have had 35 phones there, I bought 19, some as cheap as $2, ranging up to $27.

Slal

Quote from: stub on December 18, 2016, 02:42:11 AM
So I guess this is a AE 21 with the wrong updated handset and dial and hook . It's still a great phone  !!!!!   stub

"Type-21" a more 'accepted' description for "Type 32A14 Handset Wall Telephone" ?

(cat #'s seem to vary -  AC-13 )

Thanks

--Bruce

PS:  Are holes -vs- vents at the bottom a hallmark?  I'd always just looked at the cradle.

----
Edit:
Catalog # from 4033 July 1939

stub

bob833 ,
             Not hybrids , just updated !!  ;D   Man you got some DEALS there !!!!!!!! stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Slal on December 18, 2016, 06:00:01 PM
"Type-21" a more 'accepted' description for "Type 32A14 Handset Wall Telephone" ?

I don't think so. A Type 32A14 is one of a group of phones designed for PAX operation.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: bob833 on December 18, 2016, 08:00:17 AM
The metal phone on the bottom right has a hole for a transmitter like an AE21 but has a receiver like the one pictured above.

That one looks like a Monophone upgrade of a Type 21 wall phone. It is missing the cover for the old transmitter holes.

Nice haul by the way.

Jack

Slal

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 18, 2016, 10:45:25 PM
I don't think so. A Type 32A14 is one of a group of phones designed for PAX operation.

Jack

OK so I'm confused.  Two years looking for a 'Type 44' style wall phone so I can put a spare 32A14 HS on it.  Bob's looks to have 'correct' cradle/hook switch & possibly dial. 

And to be fair, I would think PAX phones would be less common than single types and might help his auction.

So...  I hope this doesn't seem like hijacking, but can't resist.  ; ) 

1.) Why was the PAX type ruled out so quickly?  I could find no documentation for a Type 21 wall phone with just a center opening for the dial; the conversion kit has same/similar looking cradle, but still two openings in front.  A variant with XMTR in center & dial on a special adapter on bottom can be ruled out since no hole there in Bob's photo.

Edit: I learned from very supportive members here, to look at coil, hookswitch, and diagram.  Not as easy as "it looks like the one in the picture"   :)

Thanks guys!

2.) What evidence supports a 51 dial versus a 24A36 as illustrated in bulletin 528 - June 1, 1949? 

Seller photos: die-cast, so evidence for 51.  My mistake.
Doc 528 is in error, or 'die-cast' 24A36 for a year or so?   :o

3.) Anyone know if coil  281901-A was used in PAX wall phone units of this type?

Quote from: bob833 on December 18, 2016, 11:59:09 AM
Those phones on the table are the ones I bought, plus I bought a few more I have already sold. They must have had 35 phones there, I bought 19, some as cheap as $2, ranging up to $27.

Congrads! 27 bucks for a jukebox style?  Any of them model 35?  Hah !    You should nominate these for phone of the month!  : )

Best

--Bruce