News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System and other Manhole Covers

Started by Greg G., August 23, 2015, 07:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

How heavy are these?  I discovered these by the layover on one of my bus routes.  I've been parking there for years, but didn't discover them until recently because the spot where I usually park is having some work done on the sidewalk, so they moved the bus stop up about half a block.  There are two of them.  One is right by where the bus parks.  When I saw it, I went looking for more and found another up at the corner. 

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

If you plan on picking them up, I will take one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Hmm...     Do you have any plans for this particular one in the near future?   It would make quite a display;-)

WEBellSystemChristian

Those Bell System man hole covers are everywhere in my area! I barely give them a second look since my phone hobby took over!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 23, 2015, 07:45:49 PM
If you plan on picking them up, I will take one!

Will they fit in a "Flat Rate Box"? They are freakin Heavy! Im guessing at least a couple hundred pounds?

Terry

<edit> I just Googled "Man Hole cover weight". One site says 90 to 150 pounds, another says 250 to 300 pounds. I guess there are varying scenarios but any I have been involved in moving didn't weigh 90 pounds nor likely even only 150 pounds.

Terry

Phonesrfun

You probably don't want to hang one on the wall   ;D .  I am sure they are heavy since they can take the weight of things like one of your buses running over them day in and day out.  In Walla Walla we have a mixture of Bell System and US West covers.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 23, 2015, 08:33:33 PM
You probably don't want to hang one on the wall   ;D .  I am sure they are heavy since they can take the weight of things like one of your buses running over them day in and day out.  In Walla Walla we have a mixture of Bell System and US West covers.

Actually, they're on the sidewalk, so they only get foot traffic.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

electric al

Quote from: Brinybay on August 24, 2015, 01:04:01 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 23, 2015, 08:33:33 PM

Actually, they're on the sidewalk, so they only get foot traffic.

Just for fun !  Feel free to add to this >  ;D

USES For Manhole covers   ......

#1   Watch Fob .
#2   Ear Ring .
Never met a phone I didn't like !

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Just a minor observation on my part, I noticed a few requested that Briny send them one. What about the big hole left behind ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 24, 2015, 12:40:25 PMWhat about the big hole left behind ?

I was wondering that myself and imagined some poor soul walking down the sidewalk with his eyes glued to his smart phone falling in.
Cliff

19and41

I would invest in a pair of steel toed footwear if you plan on dancing with one of those covers.  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 24, 2015, 12:40:25 PM
Just aminor observation onm my part, I noticed a few requested that Briny send them one. What about the big hole left behind ?
D/P

I would climb down into it and look for more Bell System artifacts!  Piece of plywood and some duct tape for the hole.
- Mike Row
e

skyrider

I seem to recall they are near 300 pounds. I have pulled them with a man hole hook and I'm 5'8" 180. Yes you had better dance when it comes free. Sometimes if it had a lot of dirt stuck around the edges we would use a tool like the one amazon showed. The old timers loved to take a rookie out to one that was welded shut to see them try to open it. Fun days at the phone factory.  Bill Compton

dumb_old_guy

They are heavy enough that I still have a thumbnail that grows a little wonky from mashing myself when I was 13.
We used to tie skateboards to our bellies and a flashlight to the sides of our heads and explore all the storm sewers and cable vaults we could access. In retrospect, it was dangerous and stupid...but it was the '70s and no one wore bicycle helmets, either.  ;)

cheers
Rob