News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Security Error" when posting pictures

Started by electric al, March 27, 2015, 08:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

Now that the problem has been identified, how do we get the offending data out of our pictures so they can be uploaded?

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on November 28, 2015, 05:39:00 PM
Now that the problem has been identified, how do we get the offending data out of our pictures so they can be uploaded?

I perform two operations.
-Strip meta data with a special program
-Resize the picture just slightly.

Babybearjs

at least I'm not the only one having trouble posting pictures.
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 29, 2015, 03:26:50 AM
at least I'm not the only one having trouble posting pictures.

And, it's spotty. I upload a lot of pictures and for the past month, had no problems. But, within the past few days, I've had a half dozen such rejections. Funny thing about it is when a group of images uploaded at once is rejected, I then upload one at a time and they load just fine, and if they don't, I find out which of the group is causing the problem. Sometimes when they didn't load all at once, they uploaded just fine one at a time without problems. Then, there are times when uploading one image, it fails but if I simply reload it right away without changes, it goes through. And, of course, then there are those images that won't load at all and need to be processed with image software that strips out the meta data done by resizing it a bit and saving it with a different file name before trying to upload it. Just my experience.

Tech&Music

I've had it once. I run all my pictures through the same resizing software (my Asus ZenFone 2 shoots 4128 x 3096 pixel photos, too heavy to just dump on the forum, I always moderately aim for around 700 pixels max width, with fitting height), and I did once run into a security error, despite it working every other time, and with no changes in the progress. Seems like the security software is a bit confused at times, and I wonder what causes that.

Babybearjs

its doing it again.... my pictures won't post.... security check it says.... it was working fine.... until now...... am I doing something wrong?
John

andre_janew

I don't know.  Did you do what Unbeldi said to do in Reply #32?

stub

It's started again just before Christmas - "Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator." Same two pics ,1 will go and the other won't . I fixed once but can't what I did?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

IIRC, the way that seemed to work all of the time with others using a smart phone was to save it as a *.png image and upload that image.

Slal

Quote from: stub on December 19, 2016, 12:55:08 AM
It's started again just before Christmas - "Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator." Same two pics ,1 will go and the other won't . I fixed once but can't what I did?   stub

I keep getting that too.  Resize only seems to work half the time in Apple, GIMP, MS Paint & Photoshop.  The only thing that seems to work is creating a new file via select all, cut-n-paste.

Quote from: TelePlay on December 19, 2016, 07:44:40 AM
IIRC, the way that seemed to work all of the time with others using a smart phone was to save it as a *.png image and upload that image.

I tried that, but 'save as' still yields error.  Can create new file, but is any other approach possible?  Perhaps a captcha or something?

Unless my system is infected, the security algorithm appears to be yielding 100% false positives.   :o

PS:  If sig (borne of getting a bit frustrated with it) is inappropriate, let know & will delete.  : )

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on December 23, 2016, 02:20:58 PM
I keep getting that too.  Resize only seems to work half the time in Apple, GIMP, MS Paint & Photoshop.  The only thing that seems to work is creating a new file via select all, cut-n-paste.

I tried that, but 'save as' still yields error.  Can create new file, but is any other approach possible?  Perhaps a captcha or something?

Unless my system is infected, the security algorithm appears to be yielding 100% false positives.   :o

What are you using to take the pictures, what camera or phone?

andy1702

I still say the admins ned to just disable the security checking for the photos. It's obviously way over the top.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

andre_janew

It'll happen when an administrator trues to post some photos and he (or she) can't no matter what. 

andy1702

Actually I just tried to post some and they went through ok, even one I accidentally forgot to resize down.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on December 24, 2016, 11:20:48 AM
It'll happen when an administrator trues to post some photos and he (or she) can't no matter what.

Never happens.

Admins have read the topics associated with this, know the two main reasons that cause the software to raise the flag, correct the images using any and/or all of the 4 known fixes posted in those topics and post the cleaned image.

Have an image to be cleaned, one that won't load no matter what? Send it to my email address in my profile and I will return a cleaned and otherwise unchanged image that will pass security.

Offer open to anyone. No charge no matter how many images are sent.

No need to complain, just send the image(s) and they will be returned. For faster turn around, send me a PM saying they were sent - I check my forum PMs much more often than my email.