News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Homemade Subset?

Started by oldguy, February 06, 2016, 08:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I too did the same thing. With a ITT ringer box, it had space for a network, so I used a 425 network,  It worked well.
KEN

dsk

Gary, use whatever you have, If you have intentions of using it as a "daily driver" I will recommend a 4 (or even 5) wires cord. Then you could make a subset with anti sidetone, (with 5 cords easily with automatic compensation as in the 500 and newer sets) 
Then  you find what you have and are willing to use in your diy subset. The most easy is the coil from a WE 300 type or equal.
I still used an old German coil in my first diy subset
just because I had it.

Later I got a more suitable cabinet, and just put the bottom plate from an old 1953 Norwegian telephone built on pretty equal schematics as the WE302, because then I got a ringer, and more equal to the original circuit.  Could not hear any difference in the quality of sound.

Later I got a 1924 telephone missing some parts, but the cabinet was square and suitable, her I used the sidetone circuit, and added a ringer from a field telephone EE-8.   Not that good quality of sound, but remarkable OK ringing from a single gong ringer.

I just do this because it is funny to make the experiments, and should I redesign I would go back to the German coil, but get a 2 gong ringer in the best cabinet I could find.

Conclusion: 4 wire cord is good, and use the best parts you have around, and we will be able to make a well working subset!  ;)
dsk