"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SH Couch Intercom Set of 3

Started by jjflory, July 19, 2017, 07:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

All,

I got this set of 3 on eBay for $75.00 including shipping...lot I got a good deal.  I am trying to find some documentation on SH Couch but have had no luck  Any one have any?  Wanting to know how old they are.

Thanks,

Jeff

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: jjflory on July 19, 2017, 07:16:41 PM
All,

I got this set of 3 on eBay for $75.00 including shipping...lot I got a good deal.  I am trying to find some documentation on SH Couch but have had no luck  Any one have any?  Wanting to know how old they are.

Thanks,

Jeff
What sort of docs?  Circuits for this kind of ICM (usually shown in the catalogs with the "mailbox systems") are usually simple enough to just dope out.  I might have catalog pages showing these but I don't recall them including circuit diagrams. 

I have one like the one in the center.  Your photo is kind of small.  Looks like the original eBay photo without hovering the mouse to display the larger view.  Perhaps that was all there was on eBay.

jjflory

Looking more for Dates made from and to. And also see what different finishes they were made in.  I have seen small Back plates made of Brass on the In Wall units.

So if any one has a catalog document like the one I attached from AM Electric, would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

unbeldi

I remember these apartment intercom systems by Couch advertised in various issues of the magazine Telephony, and similar periodicals of the 1910 and 1920s.
I am not aware of any Couch catalogs on the web, I don't think.
But in terms of wiring, it should not be much different than those of  Graybar and Western Electric, etc.  Invariably they look very similar and operate similarly.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: unbeldi on July 20, 2017, 07:35:24 PM
I remember these apartment intercom systems by Couch advertised in various issues of the magazine Telephony, and similar periodicals of the 1910 and 1920s.
I am not aware of any Couch catalogs on the web, I don't think.
But in terms of wiring, it should not be much different than those of  Graybar and Western Electric, etc.  Invariably they look very similar and operate similarly.
I don't know of any Couch catalogs on line.  I have some in my personal collection, both on and off the premises.  I will review the ones which are on the premises.  I know they cover the range from simple lobby, mailbox and other manual signalling common talking systems right through to the "steampunk" Autophone dial systems with the huge 6" dia. dials.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: jjflory on July 20, 2017, 06:41:47 PM
Looking more for Dates made from and to. And also see what different finishes they were made in.  I have seen small Back plates made of Brass on the In Wall units.

So if any one has a catalog document like the one I attached from AM Electric, would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff
Do you have a larger photo that is not so dark?  Even after adjusting Gamma, the details are hard to see well enough to make a certain match with catalog photos.  I cannot tell whether the two outer photos have flat transmitter faceplates flush with the front panel or a transmitter mounted on the front surface.

After looking at the catalog I have access to at the moment it appears that what you have is too old for it.  My catalog consists of sections dating from 1931 to 1936 and the equipment it shows is more modern.  That's the best I can do at this time.

jjflory

Try this...

Jeff