News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 with odd dial

Started by benkeys, December 18, 2012, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Black-Bell-System-G1-Western-Electric-Phone-Rotary-Desk-Telephone-/13081697668
Came across this while just browsing at WE phones in general. I know that isnt a WE Dial, if it is i've never seen one before.. I was thinking AE at first but they have the triangles on the dial not huge numbers. Its not too badly priced, but would it be worth going after? I know your every day 1953 500's are worth about that much in good shape, but idk about one with the wrong dial..  What got my attention was the huge numbers on the dial, and with that said what kind of dial is that? I have seen that type of dial before but can not remember what it was on..
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

These are after-market stickers. The Bell company-owned Phone Center Stores used to give these away, but they were also available other places. Underneath this is a standard 7D dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

Darn.. here i thought i found something different... Well in that case it will come off my watch list... time to move on to find something that truly is different..
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

paul-f

The retractile line cord is somewhat unusual.

Too bad about the replaced feet.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

benkeys

Yeah, but cant that be done by just installing a handset cord in place of a normal line cord? I had no clue about the replacement feet.

poplar1

This appears to be a line cord and not a handset cord. If so, it would have 3 conductors (red, green and yellow) rather than the 4 (2 white, red and black) in a H4CJ handset cord. Also, the handset cord has a grommet on the handset end.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.