News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought this blue WE 500 What did I get?

Started by Pourme, September 05, 2017, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I watched it many days ago and almost forgot about it. It went down to the final seconds with no bidder, so I jumped in. It looks mostly original, correct dial, not so sure about the "fat" cord, as stated.

http://tinyurl.com/y7sxy73y

The crack is fixable,right? Though I have never tried to fix one myself. It's in a good spot, if you MUST have a crack. Total pay out about $52.00.

I'll post more when it arrives.  Be honest, what are your thoughts?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

It looks like it may be all soft plastic, but the seller didn't show enough to be certain.  With some MEK and hard work, you should be able to fill that crack so that it is not noticeable.  Congratulations.

Larry

Pourme

I took a chance, but I have paid more for less, I believe, thanks!
Benny

Pourme

I'm hoping it's similar to this Auction Contest of June '13

http://tinyurl.com/y6u6noyl

Mine is a little older than this one with the leather feet.
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice buy! I had a 'watch' on that, but I'm glad it went to someone here! ;)

I'm not sure, but it almost looks like the handset cord would be early '60s. But, with the strange angle the seller used to take the picture, I'm sure it's an original '58. The rest looks original, too!
I looked again, and it looks like both cords are original!

For the cracks; I usually use a method D/P told me about--just use a drop of Acetone between the two pieces of plastic, hold it together, and wait a minute or so for the Acetone to evaporate. That way, you aren't bonding the plastic together with a foreign material, the plastic is re-bonded with itself.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 05, 2017, 04:26:50 PM

For the cracks; I usually use a method D/P told me about--just use a drop of Acetone between the two pieces of plastic, hold it together, and wait a minute or so for the Acetone to evaporate. That way, you aren't bonding the plastic together with a foreign material, the plastic is re-bonded with itself.
So, no need to cut some of the plastic from the underside and make a paste? Just maybe squeeze it together and apply a drop and let it "weld" it's self together?
Benny

Victor Laszlo

Those are not technically fat cords. They are the standard diameter cords for that era. You'll know a fat one when you see it.

AL_as_needed

These are great phones, I have one with an open finger wheel and love the color. Looks great (minus the cracks) with little fading. The original cord is a great bonus.
TWinbrook7

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on September 05, 2017, 04:32:45 PM
So, no need to cut some of the plastic from the underside and make a paste? Just maybe squeeze it together and apply a drop and let it "weld" it's self together?
Yeah, just apply a drop to the area. Make sure it actually gets in the gap between the pieces of separated plastic. Then, quickly squeeze the two ends of plastic together (try pushing the rear corners of the housing together so that the crack closes properly) and hold them together for a minute or so. Sometimes, if you don't wait long enough, the plastic re-separates, so make sure it's held together long enough. You'll see a little Aqua goo oozing out of the crack--you'll know you're applying enough pressure when that happens.

For the smaller cracks above the large one, just try dabbing Acetone on them with your fingertip until the cracks somewhat disappear.

You will need to wetsand and polish after the cracks are repaired. If you clean them well before melting them together, you won't be able to see them when it's finished!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

david@london

Quote from: Pourme on September 05, 2017, 03:57:07 PMBe honest, what are your thoughts? Benny

congrats benny.......i think you got a good one. nice unfaded colour. h/s cord looks good to me.
hope to see some after photos. i have a 58 and a 59 in aqua.
good luck with the small repair.

david.

Pourme

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 05, 2017, 07:32:18 PM
Those are not technically fat cords. They are the standard diameter cords for that era. You'll know a fat one when you see it.

I thought so, in my original post i questioned the seller's statement. The real "fat" cords make you do a double take. Although it would have been a bonus, I'll take what I got! Thanks, Victor!
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 05, 2017, 07:35:03 PM
These are great phones, I have one with an open finger wheel and love the color. Looks great (minus the cracks) with little fading. The original cord is a great bonus.

Thanks Al, I look forward to getting my hands on it and opening it up.
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: david@london on September 05, 2017, 08:02:52 PM
congrats benny.......i think you got a good one. nice unfaded colour. h/s cord looks good to me.
hope to see some after photos. i have a 58 and a 59 in aqua.
good luck with the small repair.

david.

I'll post pics when it comes in and as I proceed. This will be fun!
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 05, 2017, 07:51:32 PM
Yeah, just apply a drop to the area. Make sure it actually gets in the gap between the pieces of separated plastic. Then, quickly squeeze the two ends of plastic together (try pushing the rear corners of the housing together so that the crack closes properly) and hold them together for a minute or so. Sometimes, if you don't wait long enough, the plastic re-separates, so make sure it's held together long enough. You'll see a little Aqua goo oozing out of the crack--you'll know you're applying enough pressure when that happens.

For the smaller cracks above the large one, just try dabbing Acetone on them with your fingertip until the cracks somewhat disappear.

You will need to wetsand and polish after the cracks are repaired. If you clean them well before melting them together, you won't be able to see them when it's finished!
Thanks for passing that on, I think I remember reading it. I will give it a try.
Benny