News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 925 wiring diagram

Started by wds, January 25, 2014, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Kellogg 925 - ashtray - phone.?  I need the diagram for the non-dial version.  TCI only has the dial version.
Dave

G-Man

Here is link to a poor resolution scan for the manual version. You may need to also refer to one of the three other diagrams (dial version) in the TCI library for a clearer rendition of the wiring a terminal designations.
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1944-type-925-telephones-ashtray-21092-tl

wds

I saw that one.  My 925 has many more terminal connections than this one.  Also the Condensor has 6 wires coming out of it, not 4.  I manually tried about every wiring scenario and couldn't get it to work.  I could have a bad condensor or coil, but I want to make sure it's wired up correctly before I start replacing parts.  Maybe I'll try the wiring diagram for a 900 since it doesn't have a dial option.
Dave

dsk

:) This is the part of the telephone hobby I really like 8) , and this phone are obviously made in several versions. 
Pictures are always helping. You may find this with a 4 terminal or 5 terminal induction coil. (maybe even more?) You may find it with different capacitor combinations 4 wire, 6 wire, or more than one capacitor. No dial should just make it easier  ;) (I hope).
The ringer may be straight line, or some party line configuration. (The party line makes you having 6 wire capacitor, or extra capacitor).

Please post some pictures of the induction coil, capacitor, terminal strips and hooksw.

I have not considered the risk of having any local battery version, never heard of this.

dsk

G-Man

Do any of the five wiring diagrams and schematics that are in the TCI library for dial/manual instruments have the same number of terminals that your set has?

G-Man

You did not specify the number of terminals in your set however the wiring diagram (2136A) for the dial/manual set shows an additional terminal plus a six-lead condenser. There are other diagrams but we need more information before we can proceed.

wds

Here's a couple pictures.  I had to remove all the components to trace down the wires.  None of the TCI wiring diagrams matched this phone.  I will make another post and give the letters for all the terminals.
Dave

poplar1

21236A: 6 wires to condenser and additional terminals "6" and "7" on induction coil. Additional "GN" terminal on connecting rack. Additional 6th terminal on hookswitch.

Note B:... When no dial is used, connect
           "red" conductor of handset cord and
           "red-white" wire to binding post "GN"
            on connecting rack instead of "A"
            on hook switch.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1949-type-925-telephones-ashtray-21236-tl
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

drawing to identify the terminals
Dave

wds

I saw that diagram, but it's hard to read.  Also, the wires coming out of the condenser are very hard to determine colors.  Can I assume that the wire colors and position on the diagram will match the way they come out of the condensor?
Dave

poplar1

Yes, the connecting rack and induction coil are different in your phone from any in TCI library. Is there any model number stamped on the outside of the baseplate?

wds

B925 BAX.  I traced the wiring yesterday, the the wires off the coil aren't wired the same as the diagram.  The wiring seems all original and not messed with.  I'll write down how it's wiring now, and then wire it according to the diagram and see what happens. 
Dave

G-Man

Your set was manufactured for the military so I will see if I can find my S.C. manual for a wiring diagram. Now that you have the components out can you sketch-out a wiring diagram?

wds

Yes, but give me a little while.
Dave

poplar1

Quote from: wds on January 26, 2014, 09:53:46 AM
I saw that diagram, but it's hard to read.  Also, the wires coming out of the condenser are very hard to determine colors.  Can I assume that the wire colors and position on the diagram will match the way they come out of the condensor?

I don't know about the arrangement of condenser wires. Perhaps there is another similar phone out there that can be copied if we don't find the right diagram. Did you check Kellogg Mike's site?