Main Menu

AE 890 Calls 911

Started by stub, August 21, 2010, 01:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

The numbers handwritten on the box are:

NB89010CSL
  RG#270383

The first is the model number.  Any idea about the second?

FWIW, the 890 on display has this code on the bottom

APR 5 7 1977
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on August 24, 2010, 02:56:14 PM
The numbers handwritten on the box are:

NB89010CSL
  RG#270383

The first is the model number.  Any idea about the second?

FWIW, the 890 on display has this code on the bottom

APR 5 7 1977

Sorry Paul, no idea about the other code. I have never understood any of the other AE codes.

Even a 1977 date on your 890 is surprising to me, not that I had any idea when they would have quit production of these. Interesting to know.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Here ya go !!!!!  No sanding for me , got 2 tendons in rotator cup tore loose.! Waiting till Thur. to see Dr. to get it fixed!!!
           It still works on speaker but handset is dead. I'll have to check it out.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Definitely spent some time on the beach at Florida! Hope Jorge doesn't see these pictures.

I haven't sanded anything yet but Jorge has me thinking that I need to do some with a couple of my other phones around here. Too bad about the hole for the big push button in the side but I guess it could be plugged up with another push button.

I'm definitely interested so we can talk more about it soon.

Terry

stub

Terry,
          Look at the lower right of last pic, where a line seems to be in pic , close to the off side of on switch . Double click on pic and see crack also.
                                                          This is still a rough phone!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dennis Markham

Terry, I was thinking......I know a guy that can fix this up....Jorge, are you reading this??! :)

His fingers should be healed up by now from the last sanding project.

stub

Dennis,
            Evrytime I see the phone my shoulder hurts!!!!!!!!!! Not counting the hands.   I'll have to get one of those electric shoe polishers we discussed in another post.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 24, 2010, 04:00:26 PM
Terry, I was thinking......I know a guy that can fix this up....Jorge, are you reading this??! :)

His fingers should be healed up by now from the last sanding project.

I know! And he has *experience* with "Dawn Gray" AE sets as well! I suspect that gray 80 was on the same trip to the beach as this gray 880.

I have a (used to be) Gardenia White 880 that Jorge wants me to find for him to work his magic on so maybe if he puts these gray plastics underneath the white plastics he can sand them both at once.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Dennis, Ken:

Some guy from the Orient once said that you can move a mountain one grain at a time.  ;D ;D ;D

Actually, this phone is easier to sand than my Light Gray AE80 because it has no sharp features. Ken, once the doctor fixes your arm, sanding this old phone will be physical therapy for you.

Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 24, 2010, 06:11:16 PM

Actually, this phone is easier to sand than my Light Gray AE80 because it has no sharp features.

Jorge: That was my thoughts as well. The only tough place to sand would be the cradle area of an 880 but of course I have NO sanding experience so what do I know.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on August 24, 2010, 03:56:20 PM
Terry,
          Look at the lower right of last pic, where a line seems to be in pic , close to the off side of on switch . Double click on pic and see crack also.
                                                          This is still a rough phone!!    stub

Ken: Is it running up the side about a quarter of an inch away from the left side of the aluminum faceplate? That seems an odd place for the plastic to crack on one of these. Someone must have cinched the screws down on the faceplate when the plastic case wasn't properly seated into the aluminum trim piece that holds it in place on the main chassis.

Terry

stub

Terry - That would be it.
On the sanding, if it ain't electric or gas powered I don't want or need it!!

Jorge- Forget the therapy!!!!!!!!!!  The tendons on rotator cup is just the icing on the cake. He wants to do a complete replacement. I think I will just get the cup fixed and do the rest of shoulder later, long time from now!!!It's been like that 31 years no point in cutting it off now !!!Yeah, I know I'm a candy butt !   I've had enough time off to make a bunch of phones look like yours , but I haven't figured out your secert yet!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dave F

Quote from: stub1953 on August 24, 2010, 02:01:16 PM
Dave-F,
            I saw it when it came on and was waiting to see if I could get dial fixed before I bought it. The dial was working fine and went back to look at and you already bought it. I looks like a realy nice one , but beware, I got a nice 880 speakerphone in one time that had all the guts cut out , Yeah , just a case ,dial and switch.  Anyway , enjoy your new phone and post some pic.     stub

Stub,

Boy, now you've got me scared.  It wouldn't be the first time I didn't get what I thought I was going to get, but whetever it is, I'm gonna get it!

Dave F

stub

Dave-F,
           I don't think you have anything to worry about but shipping!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                                   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dave F

Quote from: stub1953 on August 24, 2010, 11:01:04 PM
Dave-F,
            I don't think you have anything to worry about but shipping!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                                   stub

Stub,

Unfortunately, shipping is something we all have to constantly worry about.  (See my recent post on this subject in a different category)

Dave