News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What on earth is this?

Started by deedubya3800, September 12, 2010, 04:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I saw this in an antique mall today. Metal body, painted pink, good dial motion, clear plastic fingerwheel, LAMP?!?!

Greg G.

(Sigh), 'fraid so.  This is not new, you'll see it again and again in your phone travels.  For some reason, some people think vintage phones are only good to drill holes through and stick a lamp in it.  Why, I'll never understand, they look don't look anymore attractive as lamps than does a stack of books:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

i would buy it (if not too high) for the dial.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

That appears to be, originally an Ivory 302, Maybe $150.00 phone reduced to $20.00. Still worth the price for salvageable parts.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

The dial looks like a 5J (white dial housing).  A few years ago those would sell for $50 apiece.  I have seen them recently on eBay for half that price. 

deedubya3800

The pink paint job doesn't even look that good. The shell, though, is metal, so it ought to buff out just fine, save for the hole. :P This was at the last place I visited and I was running out of time for the day, so I didn't get to look at it much closer than these two pics. I'll take another look at that dial, though, if it's still there when I go back to finish looking. I'm pretty sure it will be.

Greg G.

Yeah, if the price isn't as ugly as the lamp, get if for parts at least.  Somebody here was actually able to fix the holes in a phone lamp, can't remember who or what kind of phone it was.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

Watch out, sometimes the guts of the telephone were destroyed in place.Also sometimes the dials were altered to switch the lamp on and off. appears to be painted see seam on handset.
Robby

paul-f

This topic reminded me that I put up part of my phone lamp photo collection for viewing last year and haven't added to it lately.  Soooo, here is the link.  There are about a dozen new additions.  Enjoy!
  http://www.paul-f.com/Lamps.html

There were articles in magazines for many years suggesting techniques for do-it-yourselfers to use.  Apparently it was a popular hobby activity for many years.  Here's one example...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

I just remembered that the underside of the handset wasn't painted very well. Most of the cap is this green-gray color underneath. But the metal shell is just metal. I can't tell if there's a layer of paint under the pink. Since the dial motion is so good, I can't help wondering if it's intact. I'm just going to have to see this thing again and be prepared to do some dismantling to see what's going on inside, and I'll be sure to note the price. I took a screwdriver into every place I went because as I wouldn't buy a car without popping the hood, so wouldn't I a phone.

Doug Rose

Collectors...I don't think its an Ivory set, I think its metal. The handset has groves and I can see metal on the corners. Its not a 5J, I think its a #6 dial, probably 6A. A 5J 9 out of 10 times will have white painted sides and I can see black on this. Is it worth the salvage for a metal case that is drilled?  #6 dial with a clear finger wheel, maybe $25 at best. This is a shame, looks like a Junior achievement lamp....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

The shell is metal. And the handset cord is white; not sure if you can tell that from the picture.

Dennis Markham

Yea, Doug I agree with your evaluation of it.  I wouldn't pay $25 for it.  There are too many other fish in the sea.

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on September 12, 2010, 04:02:26 PM
This topic reminded me that I put up part of my phone lamp photo collection for viewing last year and haven't added to it lately.  Soooo, here is the link.  There are about a dozen new additions.  Enjoy!
  http://www.paul-f.com/Lamps.html

There were articles in magazines for many years suggesting techniques for do-it-yourselfers to use.  Apparently it was a popular hobby activity for many years.  Here's one example...

I hope the popularity of that hobby has waned.  They're just not asthetically appealing, I'll go as far as to say they make butt-ugly lamps.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on September 12, 2010, 03:42:59 PM
Also sometimes the dials were altered to switch the lamp on and off. Robby

Likely always AE dials. They are real easy to modify so that dialing any odd number alternately switches the lamp on and off.

Terry