News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about finger wheel on 302 phone

Started by classicradios, June 20, 2011, 01:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicradios

I just picked up a nice Ivory W.E. 302 phone with the original cloth coiled handset cord, etc.  (the phone is all original with no cracks, chips, etc.)  Question:  How do you remove the fingerwheel from this phone (it has no tiny hole through the wheel like the later sets)?   The reason that I want to remove it is that, for some strange reason, instead of a number card in the center of the dial, someone cut out part of a Winston cigarette pack and put it where the number card would go!   So, the center of the phone says: "Winston Cigarettes".   Any advice or photos would be helpful. 

Kenny C

Rotate the fingerwheel all the way clockwise. There should be a little hole between the 9 and 0 on the fingerwheel. Take a straightened paper clip and put it inside of the hole while giving gentle but firm pressure and keep turning it clockwise and it should come off.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

classicradios

Thanks for the reply, but there is no hole in the wheel.  I think that this is a different type of wheel where you have to push on some kind of tab or something but I'm not sure. 

Kenny C

This may be the earlier type of fingerwheel. Dennis knows about them.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

My 302 dials have fingerwheels held on by a nut and star washer.  It's underneath the dial card retainer ring which is held by two tabs at the top and bottom.  Gently push in and pry up on the top tab to remove the retainer ring and you'll be able to get at the nut.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

classicradios

My finger wheel is different - it is clear plastic and seems to be made of a single piece.

Kenny C

This should shed some light on the situation, but before you start you'll have to remove that cigarette paper. If it were me I would just tear it out. Then just follow the instructions posted by Dennis (reply #8) on this link and that should solve your fingerwheel issues.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Since this dial is such a difficult one, I nominate this to be placed in the repair section (or at least Dennis' solution)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Classicradios, if I haven't already welcomed you to the Forum, welcome.

There is a third type of finger wheel too where the dial card is actually put on from the outside.  I've never had one of these but have read some threads about having to tuck the card in from the outside.

Your dial may be the type that Kenny referenced where I show a couple of photos.  These are very difficult to remove the first time.  As I wrote then, I broke off the little tab the first time I tried to remove the finger wheel.  I had tried to pull the tab down instead of moving it horizontally as the dial sits flat.  Since you are probably not removing the dial mechanism from the phone you want to rotate the clip from side to side, parallel with the bottom of the wheel.

If the photos that I posted in Reply #8 on the link reference by Kenny don't help, let me know and I'll try and take some more making it a little clearer.

Finding one of those clips is next to impossible so you don't want to break it.  I posted a "wanted" with the phone clubs and got no replies when I broke mine.  I just got lucky and saw one nestled in a pile of parts for sale on eBay once and bought all of the stuff just to get that clip.

rdelius

There is an earlier plastic fingerwheel that is removed by moving a tab underneith the fingerwheel with a small screw driver. Have no photo
Robby

Doug Rose

Quote from: classicradios on June 20, 2011, 01:58:11 AM
I just picked up a nice Ivory W.E. 302 phone with the original cloth coiled handset cord, etc.  (the phone is all original with no cracks, chips, etc.)  Question:  How do you remove the fingerwheel from this phone (it has no tiny hole through the wheel like the later sets)?   The reason that I want to remove it is that, for some strange reason, instead of a number card in the center of the dial, someone cut out part of a Winston cigarette pack and put it where the number card would go!   So, the center of the phone says: "Winston Cigarettes".   Any advice or photos would be helpful. 
What ever happened to your Blue 302??....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: rdelius on June 20, 2011, 10:48:29 AM
There is an earlier plastic fingerwheel that is removed by moving a tab underneith the fingerwheel with a small screw driver. Have no photo
Robby

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2109&Itemid=2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

classicradios

Thanks for the messages.  Yes, my fingerwheel has the little tab next to the "6".  Sounds like a real pain to remove.  At this point, I just want to take that cigarette paper out.  But, there is some kind of soft, clear plastic "membrane" over it.  Is that supposed to be there?  If not, I will just tear it (and the cigarette paper) out from the outside and not remove the dial.   This phone is so nice, I hate to risk damaging the dial.

classicradios

Thanks for all the messages.  I managed to push that tab enough to get the wheel off and remove the "Winston" paper!   It was very difficult to remove!!  Anyway, its all done.