News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is it possible to have a 701B black Princess telephone?

Started by Scott, December 27, 2019, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

I have had a black Princess rotary telephone for a while and I'm not sure what I really have. Here are all the dates, the base is dated 4-62 along with network and dial. The receiver restraint is dated '63. The handset shell is '64 as is the transmitter element. The receiver element is '61. Receiver cap is '68 and transmitter cap is '63. The shell is '69. After checking Paul-F's fantastic website where it states black Princess' started in '63, I began to question if it is even possible to have a black Princess 701B. OR, could this shell be a replacement for the original black shell. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott K.

Dan/Panther

My Black Princess is designated 702B. It has a G1 Handset, which I'm not sure about, the network is 4010, The newest part is dated 64.
The 701B has a cutout for the line cord, the 702 B does not.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

If it is a rotary there should be a color code on the back of the dial with the date.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

Thank you for the replies. Here are a few photos of the shell. Which makes me more confused about the date of it since it has the cutout. The only number on the back of the dial is 8A.

Regards,

paul-f

Quote from: Scott on December 27, 2019, 12:07:17 PM
... I began to question if it is even possible to have a black Princess 701B. OR, could this shell be a replacement for the original black shell?

Scott: It is most likely a replacement housing -- largely confirmed by the 1969 date code.

The latest 701 reported to date is from 1-63 and the earliest 702 is dated 12-62. While 1963 is the marketing date associated with black Princess sets, one of the 12-62 702s is black - so black housings were in production for 702s in 1962.

Several years after the 702 came out, the need for replacement housings was noted. As we know, the base housings are quite fragile and often needed to be changed during refurb. In typical Bell System style, the housings were made to fit either 701s or 702s, so two different versions didn't need to be produced or stocked. Cutouts were provided for several mounting cord configurations. Some replacement housings have three "mouse holes," with two in the back.

Once available, it was simple to change the color of any 701 to black.

I wrote an article explaining the different mounting cord locations, leading to different needed cutouts in the article, "The Princess and the Mounting Cord" in the August 2014 issue of TCI's Singing Wires.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Look on the metal dial mounts for a date. Network may have date stamp on its side.

Trimlines and Princess phones did have a one- time charge. (such as $5 for TML and $7 for PRN). Also a monthly premium in addition to the extension charge. However, there was no savings for ordering a black set. Perhaps one reason -- in addition to black being a non-promoted color for PRN -- that we don't see many black ones
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SUnset2

For what it's worth, my recently acquired black 702B is dated 1965, as is the G3 handset, but the shell is dated 1963.  No mouse holes, however.

(This phone had been mentioned previously here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23238.0;topicseen

Scott

Quote from: paul-f on December 27, 2019, 04:36:33 PM
Scott: It is most likely a replacement housing -- largely confirmed by the 1969 date code.

The latest 701 reported to date is from 1-63 and the earliest 702 is dated 12-62. While 1963 is the marketing date associated with black Princess sets, one of the 12-62 702s is black - so black housings were in production for 702s in 1962.

Several years after the 702 came out, the need for replacement housings was noted. As we know, the base housings are quite fragile and often needed to be changed during refurb. In typical Bell System style, the housings were made to fit either 701s or 702s, so two different versions didn't need to be produced or stocked. Cutouts were provided for several mounting cord configurations. Some replacement housings have three "mouse holes," with two in the back.

Once available, it was simple to change the color of any 701 to black.

Thank you everyone again for the replies. I have attached a few more photos. Paul-F, and anyone else, correct me if i'm wrong but this is what I am concluding. The strain reliefs on the black line and receiver cords and transmitter cap are dated '63 and it is definitely a 701B from 4-62 (dates on network, dial and base), that this is a black 701B that had been updated with a newer black shell around 69. Would that be a fair claim?
Thank you to everyone that has had input into this topic.

Regards,
Scott K.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson