News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

not your average 302

Started by Kenny C, October 09, 2010, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

do any of you object with me shining the original paint with novus and fixing the rust on the inside?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

I think most of us would do that without hesitation.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

ok good because i am tired of looking at the dirt. ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 10, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
the irony is I just sold an E1 handset from 3-37

Good idea about the find of the month.

That'll teach ya'-never sell an E-1 handset!  (Unless it's brown and you can get $80 for it)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

i have learned my lesson but i may be buying a 1937 E1 handset.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

what about repainting the finger wheel?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

It depends on how good the phone looks after you polish it.  If it looks really good, then I'd say lightly sand it and shoot a new topcoat of black lacquer or enamel on it.  If it looks so-so and older after polishing, I'd say leave the fingerwheel alone, so it matches the phone better.

Dennis Markham

Kenny, what did we tell you about hanging on to stuff for future use?  As soon as you get rid of it you'll need it.  Especially for a guy like you that is going to be collecting phones for the next 70 years!

Kenny C

i am out of storage space but my dad is fixing to build a shop and is giving me the 8X8 tool shed  ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 10, 2010, 12:56:09 PM
Jim, that is a great idea...Find of the Month.  Bingster runs the Auction Contest....would you like to take the reins in the Find of the Month?

If not, I will start the ball rolling.  Since it's early October, we can start with the month of October.  We'll "sticky" the topic so it doesn't go away.  We can put it in Collector's Corner.  OR, I can put a new "board" up titled Find of the Month and then start a new topic each month.  Those that think they have something to qualify can just post in that "Board" under the appropriate month.

I'm brainstorming as I type this.....I think the special Board may work best.

Thoughts??

Watch for more info.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 10, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
the irony is I just sold an E1 handset from 3-37

Good idea about the find of the month.
Kenny,
Did you sell it to someone on the forum?

If they still have it They may sell it back.
You have a legitimate need for that handset now.
Good luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,

stub

Kenny,
           I wonder who else told someone not to sell that HANDSET!!!!!!!

I hope the Find of the Month is up and running very soon or Kenny's head will explode!!!!
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 10, 2010, 07:42:24 PM
do any of you object with me shining the original paint with novus and fixing the rust on the inside?
Kenny, It is your phone. Ask for opinions, not objections.
JMO<
Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

Stub,
::) I dont know  ::) ::) ::)

Jim,
Thats going to be on one of those quote sites in 50 yrs. ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kenny...bottom line is its your phone, do what you want with it. Myself, I would try to get as many dated parts the same as possible. An F1 with dates of 3/37 would be as good as an E1 dated 3/37. I have a 3/37 with an E1 and a 4H and all dates match 3/37. I have seen early 1937 with a seamless F1 and and seamed F1. Most times someone looks at your collection, you won't be opening a phone up to show them the guts, maybe you will. I have created damage by opening a working phone, so I stay away from it. Once its together, its together. Is that date on your dial II37 or there abouts. Early 5H dials are a nice find. A early 37 302 is a real nice find, go for the E1 and it will look great. It is a beauty!....Doug
Kidphone