News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft plastic? 500

Started by Kenny C, February 28, 2011, 12:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I picked up a 500 today which i belive is a Soft plastic. It has the smell and it does not have the date engraved inside the case. I cant find any date it was painted black over black so i cant do the finger nail test and the date was also painted over too
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

Check the network block, there should be a date on the side near the lettering "425-B."  Also check to see if it appears to be fastened to the baseplate with the original rivets, rather than a replacement (this should be obvious if it was replaced).

Kenny C

what would you guys value a 1967 25' line cord at?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, it's impossible to tell the date of a housing based upon other dated parts.  Sometimes on those housings that were repainted, the raised numbers can still be seen if you look at it from a different angle, with the light just right.  If the date isn't molded into the plastic it is "probably" soft plastic, but there were some dates in 1959 that were stamped on the housings and they are hard plastic.  However black may have been made of soft plastic (Tenite) for several years beyond that.

As far as the 25 foot line cord from '67....I would say it is whatever the value is to you.  If you want one that long and need one then it is worth more to you than to someone that doesn't need one.  I've seen standard length line cords go for $10 on eBay (depending on the color).  That's a tough one.

Kenny C

Dennis,
I am absolutly convinced its soft plastic. The dates were removed. (By cleaning before it was repainted???? just a thought) I am sanding the paint off to get the soft plastic underneath. It has several hairline cracks and a corner crack.

The reason I ask about the cord is because this phone has a 25' long cord. Thats really what made me pay the 25.00.

The handset has a very smeared date. I think it is 4-54 but i am not positive it is sometime in 1954.

I would say that a Soft plastic case with a 25 foot line cord and a 1954 handset was worth the money.
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

I GOT A DATE!! IT'S 3-27-53-2 i was able to scrape with a sharp knife off the top layer of paint and it is very faint and can only be seen in very strong direct light. I am a happy camper
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Good for you, Kenny.  I guess that solves that question, doesn't it?  Is your handset a G3 handset?  What was the original color of that?  I don't think Western Electric made a soft plastic handset in black.  Northern Electric did.  The black handsets of the early 500's sets had the G1, Bakelite handset.

Kenny C

It is a bakelite G1 with built in cord restraint.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010