News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory 302 shrinkage "Experiment"

Started by MagicMo, July 01, 2013, 06:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just bought some mineral oil at Target (in the laxative department) and placed one of my shrunken ivory plastic F1 transmitter caps into a container with it.  I sure hope that it will come out well.

Larry

MagicMo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 02, 2013, 04:18:53 PM
I just bought some mineral oil at Target (in the laxative department) and placed one of my shrunken ivory plastic F1 transmitter caps into a container with it.  I sure hope that it will come out well.

Larry

It's gonna work! It certainly won't hurt it, will it? How badly is it shrunken?
Look who's the mad scientist now!
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

TelePlay

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 02, 2013, 04:07:20 PM
Can you post a photo of the type of mineral oil used?

The stuff at Walgreen's or any pharmacy is suitable for human ingestion and a bit more expensive than Veterinarian grade mineral oil. Farmers have a need for it so the local farm store sells the Vet grade oil by the gallon for $16. Human grade would be $50 or more a gallon depending on who is selling it. 16 pints from the local pharmacy would cost about $80. It's the same stuff, just a bit less pure for non-human consumption so less cost.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/aspen-mineral-oil/0000000063595

If you Google "mineral oil gallon," sources in your area will pop up.

MagicMo

Yay! Salads for everyone! LOL

Cool, I was actually thinking I would have to buy several bottles if I wanted to submerge my Ivory base. I may have to try it now.
Thanks
Mo

LarryInMichigan

The 16oz bottles were $1.49 at Target.  Coincidentally, I also bought Italian salad dressing while I was there (I had a coupon).  I do not plan to soak any plastic things in the Italian salad dressing though, but I did eat a salad this evening.

The cap which is soaking is shrunken enough that an F1 transmitter will not even begin to fit into it, but it still screws onto the handset with a but of tightness.  I am sincerely hoping that I will not find a container of ivory colored slime when I go to remove the cap.

Larry

MagicMo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 02, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
The 16oz bottles were $1.49 at Target.  Coincidentally, I also bought Italian salad dressing while I was there (I had a coupon).  I do not plan to soak any plastic things in the Italian salad dressing though, but I did eat a salad this evening.

The cap which is soaking is shrunken enough that an F1 transmitter will not even begin to fit into it, but it still screws onto the handset with a but of tightness.  I am sincerely hoping that I will not find a container of ivory colored slime when I go to remove the cap.

Larry

Larry,
There have been those who've gone before you! You have nothing to worry about. That never even crossed my mind, probably because I didn't think it through, but it worked nonetheless! Sound like you should let it soak for three weeks with that one. Let me know how it works for you. Check it after a week and see.
Mo
Mo

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 02, 2013, 08:37:01 PMThe 16oz bottles were $1.49 at Target.

That is a remarkable price. But, 16 of those pints would still make it $23.84 a gallon, right? Many uses for mineral oil. I've used mineral oil on cutting boards and wooden knife handles that have been dried out by washing them in soap many times.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 02, 2013, 08:37:01 PMI am sincerely hoping that I will not find a container of ivory colored slime when I go to remove the cap.

I was trying to think of several similar analogies last night. One came to me today. Putting the cap in mineral oil is just like the slow motion effect of putting a noodle in water. The longer the noodle stays in the water, the softer it will get, the thicker it gets and eventually, it is dissolved by the water.

A soft noodle removed from water would shrink and become hard again as the water evaporated. Mineral oil does not evaporate so whatever is going on with this process, whatever "soaks" into the plastic to expand the molecules and make the cap bigger will not easily leave in a short period of time. I think what Mo has come upon may be a long term fix for re-expanding plastic, but just the caps, not the handset. And maybe shells. It just makes sense.

However, different plastics will respond differently. I'd watch, even try to screw the cap back on, every day or two just to be safe. You can always put it back in the oil if still tight.

And, they call it serendipity, Mo.

MagicMo

Try not to give me any ideas, please, for my own safety. Hmmmm... Mineral oil in the crockpot, to slowly warm it, then toss in the handset caps for three hours! Done! By George I think I've got it! I just can't forget about it for two weeks.
Maybe, just maybe.  :D
Mo

LarryInMichigan

16 oz is 1/8 of a gallon, so the Target brand mineral oil comes out to $11.92/gallon.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 02, 2013, 09:38:54 PM
16 oz is 1/8 of a gallon, so the Target brand mineral oil comes out to $11.92/gallon.

Larry

Hah, no wonder my wife's cooking is off at times.  :-\ I asked her, as I was typing, how many pints in a gallon. Seemed high but she was watching me type so,  . . .  ;)

Got to head to Target tomorrow!

LarryInMichigan

If there is a big run on mineral oil, the price will likely increase :)

Larry

AE40FAN

I am very intrigued with this topic.  Mo, If you decide to submerge the entire housing in mineral oil I cannot wait to see the final outcome!

MagicMo

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 02, 2013, 10:19:05 PM
I am very intrigued with this topic.  Mo, If you decide to submerge the entire housing in mineral oil I cannot wait to see the final outcome!

I will likely do so this week. I just gotta explain everything to the Hubby first, you know the drill. He says,"Um, Honey, why is the back seat of the car filled with dozens of bottles of mineral oil?'' I say, "Well I wasn't sure how many added up to a gallon'"
Mo

WesternElectricBen

You store mineral oil in your car??

baldopeacock

Quote from: MagicMo on July 01, 2013, 10:22:19 PM
Teleplay,
Originally I used the mineral oil to try and loosen the threads so I could get the cap off. Then I thought why not try and re-hydrate a cap and see if it works. Why oil? It works great to re-hydrate the skin!

Mo ;D

Skin care secrets for telephones.   Why not?