News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I JUST WON THIS!!!!

Started by Kenny C, March 04, 2011, 10:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

There has to be more than A/B under there look at the picture there looks like there is more Than two letters. Does it look like the top of another letter where it is circled?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

After you get it in your possession I'm sure you can remove a layer or two of the paint and see what is written there.

paul-f

Here are photos from sets of about the same vintage.

The A/B stamp was added to 500, 500J and 500K sets after the 500C and 500D models were introduced in late 1952.  Could be just about anywhere on the bottom of the phone.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

Thanks Paul.

What are your thoughts on this set? Do you think it still has the 425A network and equalizer?
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

There's no easy way to tell for sure.  Since it's still stamped A/B and not C/D, we're hoping it's a 425A network and equalizer.

The early 500s I've see that have had the 425A networks replaced with 425Bs (conversion to 500D) used identical rivets to the original.  After 50 years of oxidation, they look identical with the rest of the rivets.

On some sets, it's obvious that the equalizer was removed, as there was wear around the holes where the rivets were removed.  However, many of the found sets were converted from 500T or 500K sets, and they left the terminal strip in place.  Therefore the original rivets were still there.

We'll all get a surprise when you open it and let us know what you find.

Kenny C

It came today!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Looks good Kenny, now we know what was under the paint.  A nice early date on that chassis.

Kenny C

More
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Welcome to the select 1950 club ;D. I told you he was a good seller! Let us know when you wire her up if you need any assistance. Dennis has a great photo that shows how to wire her up, since 425A networks are entirely different animals than 425B's!

I am nominating you for the March find of the month. Feel free to add the pictures after my post, since you may be modest and not want to brag....

Nice job getting the paint off. Looks like paul-f's last pic was what was under the paint.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Kenny that would be a good candidate for sending the chassis to Dennis Hallworth to have him attach leather foot pads.  You'd have to send a donor along with this base.  Also a suggestion on the dial card...the one you have on there with the little "M" was meant for a modular phone.  No modular phones in 1950.  Nice pick up on the early 500 set.

Dan

I agree with Dennis. Get the leather on it and with your straight handset cord, it would be spot on period correct.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

And again
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Kenny C on March 07, 2011, 11:11:45 PM
It came today!

Kenny:

This is a perfect candidate for leather feet.
Jorge

Kenny C

Ok this is JUST a thought

I wont be able to sent the base to Dennis for a while so. what if I put a set of leather 302 feet on TEMPORAILY.

Opinions ???
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

Quote from: paul-f on March 05, 2011, 10:44:14 PM
We'll all get a surprise when you open it and let us know what you find.

Fortunately, it was a plesant surprise!  Congratulations!

If it were mine, I'd be patient and just change the feet once.  But it's not -- if you can't wait, don't!