News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Tables?

Started by Mark Stevens, September 08, 2008, 05:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Anyone collect, or even remember, telephone tables?  I come across them from time-to-time in antique malls or at flea markets, and got to wondering if anyone makes them the focus of a collection.  I don't know much about them, except that I've seen examples made of metal and of wood, some with formica, and usually with some sort of place to hold the phone book.
The picture of the table below was sent to me by a photographically challenged friend of mine (you're not reading this, are you T.J.?), and looks pretty cool to me.  It's even in the company of a trusty model 500!  It was spotted at an antique shop in Benton, Arkansas.

Dennis Markham

I do remember those tables and see them from time to time at flea markets, antique shows and the like.  Usually there is a space for a phone book too.  I've thought about picking one up but I know what will happen next.  I'll want another and another and another....................

bingster

Oddly, I've only seen telephone benches in photos.  By the time I was old enough to take notice of such things (the 1970s), none of my relatives or friends' families had one.  I've always thought they were neat, though.  The one in the photo is very cool, and not only does it have a 500 sitting on it, but the phone even matches the bench!  The phone also appears to have it's original blue mounting cord and blue plug.  All winners!

Here are a couple I like.  An uber hip 1950s metal bench, and a streamlined number. I wouldn't mind having either.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

That's what I'm talkin' about!  Those are great bingster, thanks for sharing.  That metal mid-century-modern number is wild!  The other has more of a late '30s/early '40s look.  Wow, I don't know where I'd put one, but I may just have to make room!  ;)

Mark Stevens

Another crappy picture, but check out the cool built-in fiberglass lamp!

Bill

So what's different about the first table? It's for lefties! Most telphone tables, and the examples of the other photos, assumed that the user was right-handed. The one we had when I was a kid used to drive me nuts.

Bill

bingster

I saw an interesting one on ebay a while back that had a rotating seat, so that the user could put either side against the wall.  I thought that was handy, and had never seen one like that, and I hadn't thought about the left-hand vs. right-hand issue before that.  The metal 1950s one up there does away with the problem rather neatly by not including a back on the seat. 
= DARRIN =

BDM

I have one that was strictly designed for a candlestick phone. It has a seat, very small writing table. Plus a small circular round based arm that swings out with the phone. I'll get a pic of it soon.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 19, 2008, 11:50:24 PM
Can someone find me this table????
Bill Cahill

Is that little Bill?!  I can't tell much about the table...got another pic of it?

Bill Cahill

Nope. That's the only picture.

:o :-[

Yep. That's me at age four.

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."