News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Arghh! Trying to find a recent discussion on bakelite restoration.

Started by Greg G., September 21, 2012, 01:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I was reading a discussion just last night on my smart phone that included a link to a UK site that had some great tips for restoring and polishing bakelite.  I tried a search for key words and can't seem to find it.  I'm not sure if the discussion started out about bakelite or sort of drifted to it.  It's NOT in the Bakelite repair section, I looked.  There was a post in that discussion where someone mentioned a couple of automotive products that had very common names, so when I try to do a key word search, it turns up way too many or nothing at all. 

The products were called "black bright" or "back to black" or something like that, I can't remember exactly.  I also want the link to that UK site.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

I seem to remember something called Greygate Polishing Compound No 5 that was made for the GPO to polish Bakelite. It's talked about at this forum link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5383.15

It's readily available for a reasonable price, if it works, but it's sold in the UK and seems it can't be shipped to the US.

Is this what you were reading?

It's doesn't seem to be a restoration product if the original cast finish is gone but a polish to clean, polish and shine the original outer layer.

AE_Collector

Briny: did you make sure that you were searching from the home page? A search when youare in one of the discussion boards will only search on that board.

Any idea why the polish #5 can't be shipped to USA?

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_collector on September 22, 2012, 08:42:34 PM
Any idea why the polish #5 can't be shipped to USA?

Don't know. None of the eBay UK sellers will ship it anywhere outside the UK. I couldn't even leave a message with the eBay sellers under the listed product - a strange thing in itself.

And, I could not place an order with the company directly using a US address. I could order the stuff but when at the checkout page, it would not let me proceed to the shipment page after completing the order page with a US mailing address.

I sent the company an email today asking if they ship to the US and if not, why not. Will post their reply when received.

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on September 22, 2012, 04:30:29 PM
I seem to remember something called Greygate Polishing Compound No 5 that was made for the GPO to polish Bakelite. It's talked about at this forum link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5383.15

It's readily available for a reasonable price, if it works, but it's sold in the UK and seems it can't be shipped to the US.

Is this what you were reading?

It's doesn't seem to be a restoration product if the original cast finish is gone but a polish to clean, polish and shine the original outer layer.

No, the thread I was reading had recent posts from a few days ago.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_collector on September 22, 2012, 08:42:34 PMAny idea why the polish #5 can't be shipped to USA?

Here's what they said. Can anyone translate this for me?  :D

"Dear John,

We do not send to the US as we have store there. We are unable to send this product to the US as this is Flammable and will cost over $600.00 in shipping.

Shaun Flinders, Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd."

I replied asking for a link to their store in the US. I think that's what he said.

AE_Collector

Well as we all know, A "Dear John" letter never contains good news...does it?

But yes, sounds as though they sent some over as flamable as it is and now have it available in the USA......somewhere. One would have thought though that they would have supplied this additional info in their original reply.

Terry

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on September 24, 2012, 11:18:34 PM"We do not send to the US as we have store there."

They do, and they have a lot of stuff that looks interesting for phone restoration. But, no online ordering. Have to print out a form and mail it in.

Greygate Polishing Compound #5 here:http://tinyurl.com/8s8s9h3

Their main webpage here:http://tinyurl.com/28tb6c

Also found quite a few sites related to old radio restoration that discuss ways of treating bakelite. That's how I came across that British Telephone link, by luck you could say, Briny.

Nick in Manitou

If anyone tries the Greygate Polishing Compound, please post your impressions of the product.

There are so many different ways to go, any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

HarrySmith

A quick search on eBay turns up a seller with Greygate Polish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321055558749  EDIT:  Link found to be dead on 12-31-13

I did not check Amazon but I would imagine one could find it there also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

david@london

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on January 16, 2013, 08:43:48 PM
If anyone tries the Greygate Polishing Compound, please post your impressions of the product.
Thanks!

......got some of this today to use on a gpo bakelite phone. 1st impressions - very good polish. it has a slightly chalky consistency at first which goes away as you rub it in.
i had already cleaned the bakelite shell with warmish or hot water + mild shampoo, then novus 2 + alot of elbow grease.
the cloth with the greygate on it turned slightly brown after a minute or so of rubbing, so it seems to be getting off another layer of ingrained dirt. i think it contains some wax too, to shine.
definitely a cleaner/polish though, not a cure for discolouration like a back to black-type product.
i believe it was used by the gpo.

edit - this is the greygate no. 5 bakelite polish in a tube, not the plastic polish in a small bottle

unbeldi

Quote from: david@london on December 30, 2013, 02:05:38 PM

the cloth with the greygate on it immediately turned brown, so it seems to be getting off another layer of ingrained dirt. i think it contains some wax too, to shine.
definitely a cleaner/polish though, not a cure for discolouration like a back to black-type product.
i believe it was used by the gpo.

edit - this is the greygate no. 5 bakelite polish in a tube, not the plastic polish in a small bottle
Well, the brown stuff that came off is most likely a phenol alcohol that forms when Bakelite is exposed to water. Washing it in hot water may have contributed to that, Bakelite sometimes turns rather dull after water washing. But there are so many varieties of phenol resin which makes a difference.
Once you got your surfaces cleaned and polished, never wash it with water later.

HarrySmith

I had exactly what Unbeldi is talking about happen to me. I did my usual overnight soak in hot water & Oxiclean with a very nasty 302, when I pulled it out the next morning it was dull and covered in silver specks. A lot of polishing brought it back. I had the same thing with several old Black 500's only they added a slimy surface to the specks. Again a lot of polishing to bring back any luster, I had to use rubbing alcohol to remove the slime! I also had the specks and a greyish tint at the bottom of the bucket when I emptied it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"