News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Can someone remind me... Is carbon monoxide heavier or lighter than air? I was just wondering if the CO detector should be up on a shelf or down on the floor.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

Just slightly lighter than air (the normal mixture of air components - oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.)

"When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air."

and

"In order to ensure that your home has maximum protection, it's important to have a CO detector on every floor. Five feet from the ground. Carbon monoxide detectors can get the best reading of your home's air when they are placed five feet from the ground. Near every sleeping area."

TelePlay

Walking through my usual haunt (antique mall) looking at overpriced 302s and painted lanterns when I noticed this hanging from the ceiling lit with a low wattage candelabra electric bulb.

Read the tag and the seller said this ?#12? lamp while being electric, the socket could be removed and easily turned back into a fuel burning lamp (with the cost of a few new/missing burner parts). They were asking $275 so it's still hanging there. But it sure shows nice with that porcelain/glass globe.

twocvbloke

Quite expensive even for a converted Aladdin, but that is quite a handsome lamp though, would be nice to have that hangar and shade for mine, but I'm still glad for what I have anyway... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 29, 2017, 06:35:32 PM
Quite expensive even for a converted Aladdin, but that is quite a handsome lamp . . .

I'm sure the seller would deal down. How much? Don't know. Did you notice the top of the chimney has Aladdin etched into the glass? It did look nice hanging there so snapped the photo for you,

twocvbloke

I did spot the logo on the chimney, not too sure about that one as there were some poorly-made ones from china with that style of logo that prematurely broke in use, but that is only a problem for use as a mantle lamp rather than an electric lamp... :)

Looking at the frame again though, it actually looks the same as mine, so it's possible that type of shade is what it should have, or may be one of several options they had back then, so certainly a bit of an insight into my lamp and it's possible past appearance... :)

19and41

That is a large price, but remembering the prices for all the components that come together to make up such a lamp, it doesn't seem way too far out of line.  If it uses an electrifier with no holes in the font that would also be a plus.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Well, a lot of things when you look at the component parts are worth more than they usually are as a whole, just look at cars, take a $200 running junker, strip it for parts, and you'd probably get $1000 (or more) back... :)

And of course, there's the purist's way of looking at things, the wiring, the lamp socket, heck, the black zip-ties on the frame, takes away from it's originality (says he with an ikea lampshade attached with copper wire and a chinese cymbal smoke bell on his own lamp!!!), aswell as whether it's a permanent conversion, I.E. holes drilled where you don't want them, or if it's reversible with the minimum of parts (probably just a flame spreader and a mantle in this case)... :)

twocvbloke

Decided to look for some Loxon chimneys for the Super Aladdin, as the heelless that is on there that came from the 23 just isn't sitting square, mostly because the base of the chimney is not square, so, tried to bid on a few, failed, and just looked on ebay at the new listings, £12.50 for an NOS (but ruined box), so, yoink!!  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112501880403

Seems to be "Phoenix Heat resisting glass", unlike the Hysil one on the 23, but I guess Aladdin had multiple contracts out for glass-makers here in the UK so they bought from whoever had stock, still a nice Aladdin logo etched onto the top though... :)

Anyway, obligatory pics, and will add more when it arrives and I fit the chimney to the lamp...  ;D

TelePlay

First, the glass chimney only has the word "Aladdin" on it.

Now, here are the inside images and both sides of the sales tag. He was only asking $245.

Second image shows how the lamp cord is fed into the lantern. Seems no protection from rubbing through and electrifying the entire lantern.

twocvbloke

At least that wiring job is reversible, as it's been passed through a centre-draught air feed (as opposed to the later model side-draught like my 14) and could be pulled back out, the only thing missing (assuming it's not stuffed inside the tank or something) is a flame spreader where the lamp socket is fitted... :)

The hanger though, it's identical to mine, so, I could get one of those shades for mine, well, assuming I could find one, had enough getting hold of a Loxon chimney a a decent price, glass shades are even worse when it comes to pricing over here...  :o

As for the chimney, it does indeed look like a chinese one, it's not sat straight on the gallery, and the logo is very much the same as the one shown on the following link (just over halfway down the page), if it were to be returned to being a mantle lamp, it'd be recommended to replace it with an original Loxon or Heelless (with adaptor) chimney, as the chinese ones can prematurely fracture...  :o

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/chimneys.html

Worth getting if the price could be talked down a lot, at that asking price it's still a bit too much in my books... :)

19and41

Give the seller your price, if not now,  they may take you up on it one day. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Even if I were to offer to buy it, the shipping would kill the deal for me, the USPS has killed US trade for us lowly international buyers, I haven't had anything shipped over from that side of the pond in a long wile now (think the last thing was a longer red handset cable for my Cortelco 2554), plus there's many examples over here that are a lot cheaper, just not on a hanger like this one and mine... :)

19and41

Sorry, I was thinking of Teleplay to try the offer,  he found the lamp, and it is more local to him.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke