News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The 5302G After

Started by HowardPgh, July 18, 2012, 08:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

This is a picture of my 5302g after I restored it. The original case had razor cuts in it, so I bought a NOS case for it.(I cheated)                                                                                                                         I decided to put a straight cord on it. I made it up from a longer 4 condutor line cord that was cut. It had the rubber bushing on the good end with four good long cord with terminals, the other end I trimmed the cords to the same length as the phone end of a 500 cord and added the metal strain relief.
The handset is a little rough, but it was a GF type G1 with the cord anchor molded in the handset rather than on the transmitter shell. I would have have changed it but I couldn't get the transmitter cap adapter ring off it.
The base is from 1946, original case and handset are from 1957, NOS case is from 1962. Old case was a Bell System case, NOS case is a Western Electric. It has a volume control on the ringer and leather feet.
Howard

Phonesrfun

Howard,

The handset cord turned out beautiful, and it is great to see that shell looking so nice and shiny too!   ;)

-Bill G

RotarDad

Wow - that's the best finish on a 5302 case I think I've ever seen.  Hard to beat NOS - there can't be too many of those left!

Does 5302G refer to the G handset?  If so, is a 5302 without the G supposed to have an F handset?  I think I've seen some labled on the bottom with the G but I never put that together with the handset type.
Paul

poplar1

The G in 5302G does not refer to the type handset. Rather, it is a carryover from the 302G coding of the original phone that was converted to the more modern-looking 5302G.
302A manual (no dial), 2 conductor mounting cord
302B all numbers dial, 2 conductor cord
302C letters and numbers dial, 2 conductor cord
302D party line dial?, 2 conductor cord
302E manual, 3 conductor cord
302F all numbers dial, 3 conductor cord
302G letters and numbers dial, 3 conductor cord
302H? party line dial?, 3 conductor cord
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

I like that yellow-on-black lettering on the dial card, that looks sharp!  Did you make the dial card?  If so, how?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HowardPgh

Brinybay-
That is the original dial card that was on the phone.  It is a reverse painted plastic disc (W.E. style) with little pockets behind windows to put the exchange name and numbers in. The inserts seem to be the same material that the normal dial cards are made of, White letters on black background.
I thought the format was odd Duquesne xxxxx, instead of the usual DUquesne x-xxxx.
This type of card must have been used a lot in my area as three of my phones have this style card.
Howard
Howard

paul

Those look to be acetate disks, you can see a bunch on this page: http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/we/we_acetate_disc.html.
The Duquesne one looks to have possibly been transferred from a candlestick as you can see it's in the "arch" shape and not flat on the disc.
As the page mentions, acetates are some of the oldest cards, many are from when local calls only had a single exchange.

HowardPgh

The arch you see are the perforations to break off when using on a candlestick phone.
That page you linked to was interesting as some of those names are local exchanges to me in Western PA.
I wonder if these acetate discs are a Bell of Pennsylvania thing?
Howard
Howard

southernphoneman

WesternElectricBen

AE40FAN

Looks great...that dial card is fantastic!