"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Japanese type 4 phone

Started by gemini1096, February 12, 2013, 03:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini1096

Hi all,

I'm new here and I wanted to share what was gifted to me and that I'm trying to revive instead of keeping it in a closet. This is a Japanese Type 4 phone by the maker Fujitsu. Here are some photos. I cleaned the thing and I'll try to have it work with a Voip set-up (with a pulse to tone converter) but I have no idea if the ringer or the rest works. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to test that. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I've looked into documentation in English (my Japanese isn't great) but it's hard to find something that fits this model.

Here are some photos (sorry for the imgur album, I couldn't upload photos here)
http://imgur.com/a/CYhPb

The interesting part for me is the wiring. It came with phone cable cut before the plug, obviously only L1 and L2 are used, E (earth?) goes nowhere.
Other than that, I'll just need to trim a bit of the cord end, and replace one washer that didn't survive the cleaning, and that's about it.

LarryInMichigan

gemini1096,

Welcome to the forum.  As long as no wires in the phone have come loose, you phone should work fine once you connect the L1 and L2 to an analog phone line.  For the ringer to work, you will probably need to move the wire marked 'E' to 'L2'.

I have a Japanese #4 phone also and think that it is probably the cutest phone in my collection.

Larry

wds

That is a nice looking phone.  I noticed that the dial looks like an AE24, the coil looks like the WE 101, the ringer looks like a north galion or WE ringer.  Do you know who actually made the phone? 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I posted about mine a while back: thread link.  There was definitely plenty of design copying happening.  These phones were made by numerous manufacturers to the same specifications, similar to the British GPO phones.  Mine was made by Oki and its subsidiary Taiko.

Larry

mienaichizu

Hi there,

I have several of those kind of phones and most were made by NEC

wds

just wanted to post a picture from the Ebay listing before it disappears.
Dave

AE_Collector

I see some AE40 in the cradle area.

Terry

gemini1096

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 12, 2013, 10:25:53 AM
I posted about mine a while back: thread link.  There was definitely plenty of design copying happening.  These phones were made by numerous manufacturers to the same specifications, similar to the British GPO phones.  Mine was made by Oki and its subsidiary Taiko.

Larry

This thread actually brought me here :-)
According to the japanese wiki article (黒電話) (literally black phone) the type 4 was made by 6 different manufacturers:
Iwatsu ,
OKI ,

( dead links 10-20-21 )
Toshiba ,
NEC
( dead link 10-20-21 )
Hitachi
and Fujitsu.

Mine is a Fujitsu, as indicated by the sticker beneath it. The logos are pretty cool.

paul-f

Welcome!

It would be interesting to see the other logos.  I found a few in my photo collection.

Would you post a link to the wiki article?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gemini1096

Quote from: paul-f on February 14, 2013, 10:27:14 AM

It would be interesting to see the other logos.  I found a few in my photo collection.

Would you post a link to the wiki article?

Click each brand, I posted a link to a photo for each brand (I think, it's hard to see if the logo match)

You can google 4号電話機 to browse images too.
The wikipedia article is http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%BB%92%E9%9B%BB%E8%A9%B1#4.E5.8F.B7.E9.9B.BB.E8.A9.B1.E6.A9.9F

gemini1096

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 12, 2013, 07:39:05 AM
As long as no wires in the phone have come loose, you phone should work fine once you connect the L1 and L2 to an analog phone line.  For the ringer to work, you will probably need to move the wire marked 'E' to 'L2'.

Well, my problem is that I don't have an analog line. Those are fast disappearing...
So I will need to stick an RJ11 at the end of this cord, and a pulse-to-tone converter. Unfortunately everything I find about doing this, speaks of how to wire four wires to the RJ11 plug, while this phone has only three.
Any lead towards a how-to would be most welcome.

To any future owner of such phone, I must warn that the black numbers on the inside rounded plastic plate are super fragile. I merely tried to wipe this plastic thingy to see if decolouration came from light or nicotine (Any Japanese thing from that era is full of tobacco) and pshhit, three numbers gone. Another rookie mistake, the metal dial is less strong than the nickel-iron used for chandeliers of that era! It scratched super easily (well you have to look closely but still, my mistake). >:(

Gaetan

gemini1096

Well, I finally found the attach options, so for the record, here are a photos of each maker of the type 4 with their logo.

paul-f

I completely missed the links in your earlier post.  Thanks for posting them here so that even I can find them!  ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: gemini1096 on February 14, 2013, 09:52:32 AM
This thread actually brought me here :-)
According to the japanese wiki article (黒電話) (literally black phone) the type 4 was made by 6 different manufacturers:
Iwatsu ,
OKI ,
Toshiba ,
NEC
Hitachi
and Fujitsu.

Mine is a Fujitsu, as indicated by the sticker beneath it. The logos are pretty cool.
Bringing back an old thread, I'd like to ad a Taiko to the list. Check out the last pic with TAIKO on the porcelain dial plate. Finger wheel and back of phone are also marked as well as the aqua tag on front.

Rubber cords are pliable and have ridges on them.

Just love the design of these beauties, like a car from the 40s...Doug
Kidphone