News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cloth or rubber, coiled or not?

Started by shortrackskater, July 31, 2017, 12:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

NEW to this type of phone. I bought this WE 202 D1 on ebay and found a subset on Craigslist. Wouldn't this have had brown cloth line, handset, and subset cords originally? I was wondering when coiled cords first appeared.
Mark J.

unbeldi

Quote from: shortrackskater on July 31, 2017, 12:41:07 AM
NEW to this type of phone. I bought this WE 202 D1 on ebay and found a subset on Craigslist. Wouldn't this have had brown cloth line, handset, and subset cords originally? I was wondering when coiled cords first appeared.

Yes, brown cloth cords are the most appropriate until the late 1940s.  From ca. 1949 onward they were usually refurbished with black straight Neoprene (synthetic rubber) cords. Starting in the early 50s, you might find curled cords too.

You only need two cloth cords, handset cord and mounting cord between desk set and subset.  A subset did not have a line cord. They were mounted against a wall or desk connecting directly to station wire, the cable that runs inside the walls or along base boards.
But if you intended to set the subset on a desk, you might decide otherwise, I suppose.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

shortrackskater

Thanks for the quick responses. I wasn't even thinking that I didn't really need a line cord, but I'll probably need it anyway since my wall outlet is in sort of an awkward location.
Mark J.

TelePlay

As for the "line" cord, it really depends on where you are going to place the subset. One of mine is on my 3 x 5 foot desk top with the line cord "opening" as the edge of the desk so a black silver satin line cord with modular end works just fine. No one can see it between the desk and the wall.

Now, if placed on an open legged table or somewhere that would make the line cord visible, you might want to go to cloth, or a "homebrew" cloth covered substitute for appearance, not originality.

shortrackskater

I wish those darn cords weren't so expensive. There is a seller here in California now - he's a member here, but the cost is still $15 per cord. And I noticed the phone man in Canada sells bulk cord but it's confusing the way he's got it listed with a zillion cord options.
Now what would be great is, if If they made heat shrink cloth tube!  :D
Mark J.

TelePlay

Quote from: shortrackskater on July 31, 2017, 02:14:56 PM
I wish those darn cords weren't so expensive. There is a seller here in California now - he's a member here, but the cost is still $15 per cord. And I noticed the phone man in Canada sells bulk cord but it's confusing the way he's got it listed with a zillion cord options.
Now what would be great is, if If they made heat shrink cloth tube!  :D

The options are because the make the cord to your specifications. Number of internal conductors, their color and the external wrap. They don't stock cords, they have a machine to weave what you want.

They do have a bulk order minimum, I think 25', due to that fact alone. I ordered some and it took a few weeks to get it due to the time it takes to spin the cloth covered wire desired.

rdelius

they do make a cloth tube-a shoelace!.When I was at COT, we would take plastic cordage and send to shoelace mills and cover it
Not as good for collectors but fine for retail trade

HarrySmith

Quote from: rdelius on July 31, 2017, 03:28:21 PM
they do make a cloth tube-a shoelace!.When I was at COT, we would take plastic cordage and send to shoelace mills and cover it
Not as good for collectors but fine for retail trade

FYI-For the new member, COT stands for Chicago Old Telephones. Robbie used to work there refurbishing phones for retail sale back in the day.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"