and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Re: My road trip - 8 phones for $90.

Started by Greg G., October 02, 2009, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 02, 2009, 10:25:13 PM
Greg:

The AE 80 desk set and the AE90 wall phone will need the line wires hooked to terminals number 8 and 10 on the networks.  The wall phone with the 66.6~ ringer will never work at 20~, regardless of the clapper.  The AE80 has a straight line (SL) ringer, which should work just fine if hooked up correctly.

-Bill

Ok, hooked up a temporary line wire to the AE 90 wall phone, works except for the ringer, for the reason you indicated.  I have another AE wallphone that I've been using for parts, I wonder if the ringer in that one will work.  Pictures later, but the markings on the back say "NC902100CXX", above that is a faint marking that says "2-72".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

You will need to look at the ringer itself.  It should have its frequency printed on it, such as 20~ or 66.67~  if they are frequency ringers.  A straight line ringer on the AE ususally say SL.

The markings of the back of the phone are usually only model and color information.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 06, 2009, 09:29:09 PM
You will need to look at the ringer itself.  It should have its frequency printed on it, such as 20~ or 66.67~  if they are frequency ringers.  A straight line ringer on the AE ususally say SL.

The markings of the back of the phone are usually only model and color information.

-Bill

Here it is:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

How universal are bells?  Could I use the bells in my 5302?
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

I think the bells may fit, it also may give the phone a different ring tone...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 07, 2009, 02:04:38 PM
I think the bells may fit, it also may give the phone a different ring tone...
D/P

That'll work.  The bells were missing when I got it. 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 06, 2009, 09:29:09 PM

-Bill

Success!  I swapped out the ringer for the straight line ringer and the phone is now fully functional.  Now I'm trying to remove the bells from the frequency ringer to use in my 5302, but the screws are super tight, I'll have to pick up some Liquid Wrench to try to loosen them.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I sent you a set of B1A gongs (for the 5302) on Thursday.  You should get them by Monday, latest.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 10, 2009, 09:16:49 PM
I sent you a set of B1A gongs (for the 5302) on Thursday.  You should get them by Monday, latest.

-Bill

Ok, I thought those were for the 302 w/o bells, but either way works.  They got here couple days ago, haven't got around to installing them yet.  Thanks! 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 02, 2009, 10:25:13 PM
Greg:

The AE 80 desk set ... will need the line wires hooked to terminals number 8 and 10 on the networks.  ... The AE80 has a straight line (SL) ringer, which should work just fine if hooked up correctly.

As a side note, your AE80 is an earlier model, which is heavier than all git-out, and has the older style potted network and the manual compensation, as indicated by the little potentiometer in the base that is marked with numbers of 1,2,3,and 4.  This was supposed to be set by the installer when the phone was placed in service and not to be touched by the subscriber.  It was set based on how far the house was from the central office.  People adjusted them anyway, and for the life of me, I cannot tell any difference when I adjust mine, so it probably did little good unless a subscriber were to be miles and miles from the CO.

-Bill

I finally got around to hooking up a temporary line wire to test it.  It fully functions, so it's going to the "outpatient" room with all the other working phones that just need cleaning and buffing.  That leaves just two of my 24 phones in the "inpatient" room.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

donna

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 10, 2009, 09:16:49 PM
I sent you a set of B1A gongs (for the 5302) on Thursday.  You should get them by Monday, latest.

-Bill

I finally installed them a few days ago.  Here they are in action:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYu1IR6HRo
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

donna

Phonesrfun

-Bill G