"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What did I buy?

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 08, 2011, 08:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220910530954

This appeared on ebay this morning, and I cannot figure out quite what it is, so I bought it.  It appears to have an SC handset, but I cannot find any SC phones on-line which look like this one.  Any guesses?

Larry

HarrySmith

Looks like an early WE "spacesaver" 210 I believe. Nice catch!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

With an AE dial.

You can replace that dial with a WE 5H, and save the AE dial for use in one or another AE phone that came with some other dial. 

The ringer box appears to be something other than WE; might also be AE (and can be replaced & saved ditto). 

Note, these need proper subsets in order to function.  Any WE subset with an induction coil or network block should be acceptable, though the local experts can advise on what's exactly correct for this model.

LarryInMichigan

I do not think that this is a WE.  I have a C mount and two G mounts, and this does not look like either.

Larry

Doug Rose

I was watching this as well, it not a WE, looks like an Stromberg Carlson to me. Hookswitch is older like a SC or an early WE. Handset looks SC to me, but not a real good picture. Just a guess....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

SC made a loose copy of the 211 set .The housing was aluminum , the dial cup had a solid back .
Robby

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: rdelius on December 08, 2011, 07:10:39 PM
SC made a loose copy of the 211 set .The housing was aluminum , the dial cup had a solid back .
Robby

Robby,

Thank you for the information.  It looked like SC, but I could not find a picture of one like this anywhere.  I have seen the older looking SC space saver type phone, both on-line and in person, and it has a very similar hook but a different body.

I am guessing that $33 was not an unreasonable price for this, especially since this model seems to be quite uncommon.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  The housing is aluminum.  On the bottom is stamped "AR1201CA" in vermilion.  The brown cloth coiled handset cord, not surprisingly looks to be a WE.  It has a date of "IV 50" on the restraint.  The box which is connected to the phone contains a large inductor coil and a condenser.  It has "1206A" in vermilion on its back.  Below is a picture of it.  

I briefly connected the phone to my line, and it does work.

I cannot find much about this phone on-line, so I am guessing that it is rather rare.  I am guessing the date to be late 1930s.

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 08, 2011, 07:23:50 PM
It looked like SC, but I could not find a picture of one like this anywhere.  I have seen the older looking SC space saver type phone, both on-line and in person, and it has a very similar hook but a different body.

The bottom part looks like a SC 1181 - found here in a 1930 ctalog.  It was undoubtedly made for many years and was replaced by the more rectangular 1234, which came out in the mid-1940s.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Update...

From SC Bulletin 36J, 1936. 

(available at http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Thank you Paul.  Now I see it.  I am guessing that the "AR", possibly the "A" at the beginning of the model number on mine signifies that it has a dial.

On the side of the shell just below the hook, is the outline of the familiar Stromberg Carlson decal beneath black paint.  I am hoping that I can carefully depaint it and preserve the decal.

Larry