News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My pet peeve

Started by Kenny C, August 13, 2010, 01:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

When ever some of my Little brothers friends come down and use my phones, it never fails theyy hang the handset up backwards. I cant stand it I always hang it up the right way. I just cant take the cord being wrapped around the body of the phone like that. Even at my grandmas her 500 (I gave her) i switch the handset around when ever it is backwards. Does any one do this? Or is it just me?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

At least the dudes can dial out on your phone. My sons friends' stuck their fingers in the dial holes like it was a touchtone!

I don't like the toilet paper coming down from the back of the roll, it must come "over the top." I will even change a roll in a friends house if it is backwards.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Quote from: Dan on August 13, 2010, 02:34:21 PM
At least the dudes can dial out on your phone. My sons friends' stuck their fingers in the dial holes like it was a touchtone!

I don't like the toilet paper coming down from the back of the roll, it must come "over the top." I will even change a roll in a friends house if it is backwards.

Same with me its the smallest things that get under my skin. And dont get me started on the dialing i end up doing it for them  :DIts amazing that a 12 yr. old cant use a real phone.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Wallphone

I'm "right eared" and hold the handset in my right hand so to me most of the phones were designed wrong. I suppose they are designed that way for the right-handed dialer's & writers.
Dan, I hear you on the toilet paper. My wife pays no attention when installing a new roll and I'm always changing it & the paper towels around. Life is tough enough without having to search for the start of the TP roll. I won't admit if I've ever done it at other houses though. ;D
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

Many people that I know have a habit of twisting handset cords so that they become horribly tangled, and the handset can barely be pulled away from the phone base.  When I was a teen, my mother was constantly doing that to the cord on our kitchen 2554.  When I would try to use the phone, the 25' cord would be so twisted that the handset would snap back to the base if it was pulled more than about two feet away.  Once we got a modular phone, I would regularly remove the cord and untangle it.

Larry

jsowers

I agree on both counts--the handset cord and the toilet paper. I regularly change the toilet paper at work to the correct way--over instead of under. I've been known to untangle the coil cord on someone's desk phone while I sat there working on their computer (I'm a computer tech for a school system, and we use IP phones, so the phone is almost always next to the computer).

On soft plastic phones, you can look at the base and tell if the handset cord has been caught under the phone for a long time. The coils make a dot-dot-dot pattern on the black paint on the base. Also it makes "divots" in the soft plastic housing if left in contact long enough on top of the phone (as in years). So that's a good reason to put the cord so it doesn't go across the phone.

Every coil has to be going the same way on my displayed phones. But I confess to a little twist on the 554 I use in the kitchen. It has a long cord and twists easily.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

I was always untangling the cord where I worked.  It would irritate me to pick up the handset like Larry said...and practically pull the phone off the desk when it would not untangle.  As stated, it was easy when the modular plug-in cords came on scene.  Just unplug it and let it go.  How they got so twisted was beyond me.

One guy I worked with always hung up the phone "backward".  He'd drag the cord behind the phone and the receiver end would be on the left as one faced the phone.  He was right handed too.  Maybe he did it just to see how long it would take for me to "fix" it. :)

bingster

This is funny. I'm the exact same way as the rest of you, and all these stories are very familiar.  My mother twisted cords and I was always untangling them, coworkers would come back to their desks to find me twirling their handsets, etc. Drives me nuts.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

In an office in which I worked, there was a woman who was the worst handset cord twister I ever saw.  I kept warning her against twisting it so much, and then one day I heard her answer a call and say "hello" several times.  I went over to her desk to see what the problem was.  She had twisted the cord so badly that she broke one of the wires in it.  I gave her a polite "I told you so" and told her to go to a certain person and ask for a replacement cord.

Larry

Kenny C

no one in the family twists my cord when they do i spat their hand and give them a firm "thats a no-no" ;) ;D but im serios about telling them the dangers. What if you twist the cord so tight and pick up the handset you could have 5-6 lbs of steel and thermoplastic coming towards your foot. And if you break it i break you :)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

gpo706

I was a bit baffled about what you were on about until It dawned on me the WE sets have that strange (to our eyes) sideways handset cord.

On a GPO set the cords are most usually mounted rear and centre so doesn't matter which way you put the handset down.

Just displaying my temporary amnesia, and yes I'd be annoyed if it was put down the "wrong" way on my 500's and the toilet roll thing also bugs me - its top over bottom, then over one's bottom, if you get my drift..
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

DITTO, cord belongs on left side of phone, NOT ALL TWISTED EITHER, The TP has to come off the top.
Should be laws...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

QuoteDITTO, cord belongs on left side of phone, NOT ALL TWISTED EITHER, The TP has to come off the top.
Should be laws...

i will second that
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

baldopeacock

Ditto on the over-the-top TP roll.   Although I once had a cat who discovered how much fun it was to stretch herself up and spool the entire roll onto the floor with her front paws.   Until she got over that I had to hang the paper the "wrong" way.

Doug Rose

WOW!!! My only problem with toilet paper is when it isn't there! Can you imagine this on the ATCA List? APB would be throwing a fit!!.....Doug
Kidphone