News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My pet peeve

Started by Kenny C, August 13, 2010, 01:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

It's interesting that some manufacturers went for the center cord hole in the back, while others went for a cord hole to the side.  The Bell System did have a central hole on the D-mount and earlier mountings, but for some reason, they didn't carry it forward with the H-mount.  It would be interesting to know what led them to the right-hand only decision, rather than a more universal position.
= DARRIN =

ThePOWERtoRULE

On my desk phones I'm not terribly bothered if someone hangs it up facing the wrong way... in fact, on one of them it seems to make the cord sit nicer.

However, having the cord twisted on the phone at work REALLY drives me up a wall. My coworkers are always asking me what the hell I'm doing when I'm untwisting the cords at work. Picking the handset up and having the whole phone come up with it is a real b*tch!!!

Toilet paper over the top, but I've heard that some animals and children will unravel it like crazy if it's over the top!! So until then, over the top for me.
"I remember a house like a lot of houses, a yard like a lot of yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. I remember how hard it was growing up among people and places I loved. Most of all, I remember how hard it was to leave... And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back in wonder..." -Kevin Arnold "The Wonder Years"

rdelius

The early prototype h mounts (302) ,some had one hole in the back for both cords.
Robby

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Kenny C on August 14, 2010, 12:29:56 AM
most people are shocked that i a 14 yr old can use a record player and type on a type writer and have old telephones
They are! I am 14, and I use all of those things! I love old phones, my 1961 black 500 is my main phone right now.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Dan on August 13, 2010, 10:14:41 PM
Kenny since you are a young teen (14 or 15) what sparked your interest in rotary phones, outdated technology before you were born?
I didn't know he was that young! I am 14, and I collect phones, and repair old vacuum tube radios, test equipment, and electronics! Right now I have my 1961 Western Electric 500 hooked up at my desk.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Pourme

This thread was just brought to my attention today. Harry, I didn't know you are a Toyota service manager. Before I started my business 20 years ago, i was a Toyota ASM for ten years.
When I asked my wife to marry me over two decades ago it was contengent on her agreeing to always install the TP with the end going over the top. The secret of a happy marriage!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

andre_janew

What really annoys me are people who think they know everything.  Nobody knows everything!  There is always something out there that you don't know.  People who think they know everything haven't found out what they don't know yet. 

HarrySmith

Quote from: Pourme on September 16, 2016, 01:05:10 PM
This thread was just brought to my attention today. Harry, I didn't know you are a Toyota service manager. Before I started my business 20 years ago, i was a Toyota ASM for ten years.
When I asked my wife to marry me over two decades ago it was contengent on her agreeing to always install the TP with the end going over the top. The secret of a happy marriage!

Cool, Benny! I thought we had something in common. I am no longer at that dealer, that was quite a while ago. I am still with Toyota at a different dealer as an ASM. Been with Toyota since 1998.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Victor Laszlo

With the toilet paper coming off the bottom, you can pull what you need, and by "snubbing" the roll with the top (knuckle side) of your hand, while holding the pulled-out portion, the entire operation (pull enough, stop the roll-out, then tear off) can be accomplished with one hand.  With the paper coming off the top, the one-hand operation is more difficult. This is important should you need to hold a phone, book, flashlight, pistol, or your balance, with the other none-wiping hand while preparing to wipe.  We have a very nice cleaning lady who comes into our home once every two weeks to help my wife Ilsa with the house-keeping. She insists upon installing the TP with the paper coming over the top. She then makes a little origami-esque fold on the end of the paper. She learned this while being employed by a hotel as a chambermaid. She does it even though I have specifically asked her not to do so. She also rearranges all the family photos on the various tables and on the mantle, so that I spend a half-hour every time she leaves, putting them back in the proper positions. She wipes the LED TV's even though there are little post-it notes on all of them that say "DO NOT CLEAN."  She does not, however, place the handsets of the desk phone collection (565HK's in all the colors except clear) with the cord wrapped around the front of the sets. She leaves the phones alone. I think she's frightened of them because they have fat cords and extra buttons.

Pourme

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 16, 2016, 09:28:17 PM
Cool, Benny! I thought we had something in common. I am no longer at that dealer, that was quite a while ago. I am still with Toyota at a different dealer as an ASM. Been with Toyota since 1998.

I was with Toyota from the mid 80's till around 96 or so...still have friends there and drive a Venza...Love my Toyotas!(& my F-150)...Ha!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dave F

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 16, 2016, 10:32:51 PM
<snip>... She does not, however, place the handsets of the desk phone collection (565HK's in all the colors except clear) with the cord wrapped around the front of the sets...
I would love to see a picture of all your colored 565HKs!

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on September 17, 2016, 02:46:11 PM
I would love to see a picture of all your colored 565HKs!

DF
I second that!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

I don't have a "pet" peeve, I like them all!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e