News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Topic Idea?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 04, 2016, 02:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I had an idea for a new topic; a list of surviving telephone types by numbers.

We could list different variants of telephones, and number them by how many are known to exist in collections. Say we have a 'Western Electric' category, and under that, '500 sets'. A list of different colors (individual colors and types such as two tones/black dial sets, and combos of coiled vs straight, Gray vs matching color), models (T, J/K, U, P/U, L/M etc, and colors for each model).

It might make a great reference for collectors, and it would show the actual rarity of certain models over others. Every time someone finds another rare variation, we could add it to the list. It would probably be very time-consuming, and I have no idea how we could keep it from getting confusing, but it could be worthwhile for collectors in the future.

Any thoughts?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

It would be extremely hard to separate the original phones from the ones someone has put together, as with the gray cords and straight vs. coiled cords and two-tone phones. In some instances there is no way to know if your phone is original or not. So you'd end up having a lot of errors in the database because someone has tweaked the phone along the way and they've forgotten or don't know it. And that someone could even have been a phone repairman while it was in use. Not every phone is dated on all the pieces and sometimes the dates vary widely on a phone that looks like it's never been touched.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how do you really know if it's truly original? And if it's not, then should it be counted? I guess single color and model could be counted without a problem, but when you get into options it gets tricky.

For instance, I have a black 500U with a base from 1958 that someone (not me) reskinned with 1970s black modular plastics, including the handset. It's pictured below. You can see they took the mushroom cap and that mounting ring from a real 500U housing and re-mounted it and drilled all the holes themselves in a regular 500 set housing. Would that be counted as a black 500U from 1958? It certainly doesn't look the part with those modular cords.

Just some things to consider. I don't even want to think about the time it would take trying to count how many phones I have. Would you?
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on August 04, 2016, 05:14:45 PM
It would be extremely hard to separate the original phones from the ones someone has put together, as with the gray cords and straight vs. coiled cords and two-tone phones. In some instances there is no way to know if your phone is original or not. So you'd end up having a lot of errors in the database because someone has tweaked the phone along the way and they've forgotten or don't know it. And that someone could even have been a phone repairman while it was in use. Not every phone is dated on all the pieces and sometimes the dates vary widely on a phone that looks like it's never been touched.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how do you really know if it's truly original? And if it's not, then should it be counted? I guess single color and model could be counted without a problem, but when you get into options it gets tricky.

For instance, I have a black 500U with a base from 1958 that someone (not me) reskinned with 1970s black modular plastics, including the handset. It's pictured below. You can see they took the mushroom cap and that mounting ring from a real 500U housing and re-mounted it and drilled all the holes themselves in a regular 500 set housing. Would that be counted as a black 500U from 1958? It certainly doesn't look the part with those modular cords.

Just some things to consider. I don't even want to think about the time it would take trying to count how many phones I have. Would you?
I guess that makes sense. There's also the possibility of someone lying, but that doesn't really happen around here.

We could have 'basic' date-matching phone counting, like all soft plastic set colors or simple 'rare' models and editions (the three variants of mushrooms, 1949-1950 500s), I.E certain types of 500s that are generally considered rare. That would just be for the 500, so I could see how complicated it could get over a wide range of phone types. If we did one, it could just be for the 14 500 colors in soft plastic, but only date-matching phones could apply.

I personally would like to go through all my phones again, but I JUST unplugged, dusted, organized, and plugged in all of my phones.
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

Some of our forum members have 500 or more phones.  I can't imagine having to go through such a large collection to find out what is in it!

Dan/Panther

I'll start the list...

1948 W.E. 500 Field Trial set- 1 known.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dave F

Sound like an interesting idea for a new topic, if a way could be devised to make it viable without a ton of work.  I have several W.E. phones which, as far as I can tell, are unique examples.  In fact, it would be entertaining to have a special topic in which ONLY one-of-a kind examples are included.  This obviously would be a much smaller list than the one originally envisioned, and entries could be deleted if and when additional examples of listed phones turn up.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

I was thinking that using a poll may be easier than individual people posting or PM'ing moderators about what phones to add to the list. Every few months, the list could be updated based on poll responses.
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

A list of phones and variations already exist. Paul F. has a pretty complete list of WE 500.
I think that using Paul's page as a reference gives everyone the same baseline reference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A spreadsheet could be created to tally color and dates ect.

JMO,

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jim S. on August 05, 2016, 04:21:36 PM
A list of phones and variations already exist. Paul F. has a pretty complete list of WE 500.
I think that using Paul's page as a reference gives everyone the same baseline reference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A spreadsheet could be created to tally color and dates ect.

JMO,

Jim S.
No, this would be a list of how many of each variation still exist in collections. It would be a great reference for what phone colors/variations are the rarest or easiest to find.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I think I'm going to create my topic. For now, I think it will simply be for WE colors, mainly thermoplastic 302s and soft plastic 500s. Any ideas or alternatives to what to build the topic on?
Christian Petterson