"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early professional motion picture camera collecting

Started by russco23513, March 02, 2013, 11:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russco23513

Hi Folks,
Anybody enjoy collecting movie cameras? I work as a TV camera operator and collect 35mm movie cameras. My 'baby' is a Bell & Howell 2709 that was made in 1914, and was actually used in Hollywood.
Have a blessed day all!

Greg G.

I don't, but there was a huge one at an antique store near me.  I was flabbergasted at it's size!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

No, but I was a projectionist at several drive-in theatres for a few years in the 60's, so I've run the things.  Simplex projector heads and Ashcraft carbon arc lamps.  At one point in time, I swear, I must have known every line in the first Planet of the Apes.  We ran it for three or four weeks straight when it first came out.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: russco23513 on March 02, 2013, 11:34:36 AM
Hi Folks,
Anybody enjoy collecting movie cameras? I work as a TV camera operator and collect 35mm movie cameras. My 'baby' is a Bell & Howell 2709 that was made in 1914, and was actually used in Hollywood.
Have a blessed day all!

Oops, looking at this post again, you're talking about cameras, I thought you meant projectors.  The monster I saw was a projector.

The camera you have is this model:

Bell and Howell 2709
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

Would a 1914 camera have rotatable lens, or a matte box? Or is this modified or a later version?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"