News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 not transmitting

Started by RobertF, August 14, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertF

Hi, I bought a 302 that had no line or handset cord. I replaced them with the cloth covered repro wires. I can't transmit out. Everything else seems to work fine ( it rings, have dial tone, can hear the other line) . It has an F1 transmitter. I tried smacking it. I notice when I remove the F1 I still have a dial tone. Is that supposed to stop when the transmitter is removed? If so, what does that mean? Any help? Thanks, Bob

LarryInMichigan

You may have wires touching each other where they should not, or the dial may be shunting the transmitter.  See what happens if you temporarily remove the slate/red wire from the L1 terminal.

Larry

poplar1

Yes, removing the transmitter should remove dial tone, but you can still hear dial tone when another phone goes off-hook. It's like the "monitor" on a butt set. If you can provide pictures it would help.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RobertF

I looked it over good. You were right. The crimp on the red wire in the handset was touching the metal bracket in the middle where the black wire is attached. Moved it over and it works great. Thanks for all your help.

RobertF

Ok, It did work fine at work. I could dial out and receive calls. Set it up at home. It does not connect when I dial out. Recording says number cannot be reached. Is it my service? I can dial out on my WE 554 wall phone.

G-Man

What type of telephone service are you using at home? Is it traditional copper or a VoIP line?

Some of the newer services are not tolerant of even slightly out of spec. dials.

If that is the case, you may have to send it to dial repair expert Steve Hilsz. His prices are extremely reasonable and he does a great job repairing, cleaning and adjusting dials.

RobertF

I have Verizon Fios. What is a VoIP line?

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: RobertF on August 15, 2013, 02:14:51 PM

Voice over Internet pulse?? I think that's what it is.

I can agree, Steve is a great person, and has a great amount of parts!

Ben

New England Tel.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 15, 2013, 06:08:24 PM
Quote from: RobertF on August 15, 2013, 02:14:51 PM

Voice over Internet pulse?? I think that's what it is.

I can agree, Steve is a great person, and has a great amount of parts!

Ben

Actually, that would be Voice over Internet Protocol.
-Bob Archambault

G-Man

Vonage and magicJack are two types of service that are VoIP based and of course Bob is correct -
                                 VoIP = Voice over Internet Protocol

FiOS most recent versions use PCM to deliver telephone service and is more tolerant of out of spec. rotary dials.

When your 302 is connected at home do you receive dial-tone when you lift the receiver before dialing?

poplar1

Quote from: RobertF on August 15, 2013, 11:58:25 AM
Ok, It did work fine at work. I could dial out and receive calls. Set it up at home. It does not connect when I dial out. Recording says number cannot be reached. Is it my service? I can dial out on my WE 554 wall phone.

Since the 554 at home is working, put the 302 where you can reach both sets. Dial 0 three times on each set in the usual way, then dial 0 on both, holding both finger wheels rotated before releasing simultaneously. You could repeat with other numbers. This way you can compare the speed of each.

Or, if you have a stop watch on your cell phone, there should be 10 pulses per second. If you have a 5H dial on the 302, there is a speed adjustment on the governor.

RobertF

Yes, I receive a dial tone. When comparing the speed on both phones, I find the 302 is a hair slower when 0 is dialed on both. It does have a 5H dial. Is the adjustment that small brass screw on the gov?

poplar1

Quote from: RobertF on August 16, 2013, 11:39:41 AM
Yes, I receive a dial tone. When comparing the speed on both phones, I find the 302 is a hair slower when 0 is dialed on both. It does have a 5H dial. Is the adjustment that small brass screw on the gov?

Yes. You can block the governor from turning with long-nose pliers through the bottom opening. Then loosen the screw enough to allow you to move the top part left or right.