News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Birthday Finds--AE Spacesaver, WE Princess

Started by Melanie W., September 20, 2014, 10:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanie W.

Had a good excuse to go hunting yesterday--my birthday--came home with a '61 AE 183 Space-Saver and a '67 WE Princess.  Old phones seem pretty scarce around here, an observation that's been confirmed with several antique vendors, although I'm not sure why...  So, I was happy to find 2 in one day.  Princess in good condition and honestly I had never seen a SpaceSaver before, it was so intriguing I couldn't go home without it.

Both were missing the line cords but the Princess worked when I got it home.  The Space-Saver...oh boy, will be a learning project.  I've tried my hand with bakelite so that's ok, I'm mostly concerned with the internal workings and whether it will work or I can get it to work...all new to me.   For starters, it appears I need a 2-conductor spade to modular line cord?  It didn't come with the external bells but I don't need them (my son specifically asked me not to put another "loud" phone near his room please??)

Anyway, here they are!

TelePlay

Is the Princess a 701 or a 702? The 701 not have an internal ringer, it used an external ringer.

Melanie W.

Princess is a 702 and has the ringer, its the Space-saver that doesn't.  But no worries there, this house already lights up with bells when anyone calls!  :o

Mr. Bones

Nice finds, Melanie!

Happy belated Birthday, and welcome to the forum!

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice finds! That Princess in blue looks nice, one of my favorite colors for that model (yet I don't have one in blue, go figure...). ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 21, 2014, 12:20:27 AM
Nice finds! That Princess in blue looks nice, one of my favorite colors for that model (yet I don't have one in blue, go figure...). ::)

Thats how it always is! Your favorite color is the one you don't have! Right now, my favorite telephone color is oxford gray. :)

-Ken

DentonRotary

Great finds! Those look like fun. Right now my favorite phone colors are black and green, and I don't have either.

paul-f

Congratulations, Welcome and Happy Birthday Melanie.

You can learn more about your AE "Spacemaker" from documents in the TCI Library.  Go to:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

and search for "spacemaker" to find some catalog references and wiring diagrams that will tell you where to connect the mounting cord.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Melanie W.

Thank you, all.  :)

And thank you Paul-F for the reference, I will definitely look at that!