News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wheeler Telephone question

Started by markosjal, July 27, 2017, 02:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Anyone ever herd of Wheeler branded telephones from Connecticut?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-552011413-telefono-antiguo-baquelita-directorio-mty1955-adorno-bar-_JM

It looks like an SC (?) with a modified dial.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

unbeldi

It appears to be a Stromberg-Carlson 1400, or early 1500, with someone else's dial and what looks like an WECo F-type handset.  F-type handsets were also made by Conn Tel. and a few others.

Alex G. Bell

I don't know the Wheeler company history and don't see the Wheeler name in the listing, but I know of a company with that name.  In the 1950s and early 60s era a Wheeler company made "F1-ish" style sound powered handset pairs.  They were sold through electronic parts distributors such as Lafayette Radio in the NYC area and probably others such as Allied Radio in Chicago and maybe the original Radio Shack of Boston before Tandy Corp bought up the name and turned them into an entirely different beast. 

Perhaps this is what Wheeler finally devolved into at the end of its life.

markosjal

One close up in the auction page shows the name plate . I Can Read "Wheeler" and "Conn"
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on July 30, 2017, 09:30:41 PM
One close up in the auction page shows the name plate . I Can Read "Wheeler" and "Conn"

How about: 

THE WHEELER INSULATED WIRE COMPANY
of
WATERBURY CONN

They made equipment for the Navy.

http://radionerds.com/images/7/79/CT-NAV_HTM.txt   (search -Find- Wheeler)

===================================

EDIT:  Being a screwed on identification plate, this phone was most likely the property of The Wheeler Company and the tag shown is an inventory identification tag and as such, the phone could have been used in any one of their foreign offices shipped there from their main office in Waterbury, CT.

paul-f

Here are photos of another example...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line