"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 182 Starlite Problems

Started by b3tamax11, May 23, 2016, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 08, 2016, 11:32:29 AM
Is there 3 or 4 distinct positions for the switch? It looks in your picture as though the switch has 4 terminals so there is likely 3 distinct positions. The wiring looks as though it would have Off, Low and High positions. I can't tell for sure where the resistor is connected to the switch so the order might be Off, Hi and Low rather than Off, Low and High.

I will check one of my Starlites when I get home tomorrow. They aren't usually very bright so maybe the low position just doesn't look as though it is lit at all. Possibly the EL ring has degraded in brightness over the years.

How does it look with that brand new Forget Me Not Blue cord?

Terry

Everything looks great, thanks again! The only visual issue is that the plastic is somewhat yellowed from its original color so it looks different from the cord, I haven't decided if I'm going to do a chemical treatment or just do some sanding.

AE_Collector

I just went through the entire thread and the only picture of the phone to verify the colour (until now) was in your first post where the handset cord can be seen. The handset cord is definitely FMN Blue but the phone looks more like AE's "Turquoise". This is fairly common as FMN Blue likes to become "turquoise" when exposed to lots of sunlight and/or maybe fluorescent light or Smoke. Does the inside of the shell and receiver/caps match the new FMN Blue cord?

Terry

b3tamax11

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 09, 2016, 09:32:48 PM
I just went through the entire thread and the only picture of the phone to verify the colour (until now) was in your first post where the handset cord can be seen. The handset cord is definitely FMN Blue but the phone looks more like AE's "Turquoise". This is fairly common as FMN Blue likes to become "turquoise" when exposed to lots of sunlight and/or maybe fluorescent light or Smoke. Does The inside of the shell and receiver/caps match the new FMN Blue cord?

Terry

The inside of the shell matches exactly. I took a picture to show the difference: