News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Snagged my first Mercedes Dial on an AE 21 Candlestick off of eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 27, 2016, 09:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Great pictures, thanks for the pictures Jack. Are they yours?

Looks like a good start for a "Telephone Component Identification - AE Transmitters, faceplates, cups etc" topic.

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 03, 2016, 11:44:30 PM
Great pictures, thanks for the pictures Jack. Are they yours?

Looks like a good start for a "Telephone Component Identification - AE Transmitters, faceplates, cups etc" topic.

Terry

Not mine but I have some - except the dials are reversed. The Type 23 dial is on my older (tall perch) phone.

Jack

AE_Collector

Now that is what I identify as a type 23 dial with the "modern looking" number card and retainer on the smaller dial.

Terry

TelePlay

This is the restored perch with its first coat of primer/paint right out of the oven. The patch turned out well. Only needs a little sanding and two coats of paint now.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Kenton K

TelePlay

Moving on to the base and stick, I was thinking of way to protect the brass cord grommet on the back of the base. Looking closely at it, I could see a slight ring of black around the grommet where it met the base, the japan black left over after the lamp creator's sanding. After a week, I came up with this idea which seems to be working nicely.

Using a machine screw with a large washer on the inside, I put a 5/8" finishing washer on the screw, a flat washer on top of it and a wing nut to tighten it down. The 5/8" washed was a bit too small so taping the cup side to a piece of flat metal, I put it into my bench vise and squeezed it down a little bit, making the cup outside diameter larger. Had to do it twice to get it large enough to cover the grommet. Installed nicely.

This is a picture of that "MacGyver" mounted on the base in my spray cabinet with one coat of primer applied. That really is dark grey paint, just a poor light source making it look brownish.

TelePlay

I need some help here. What goes into this face plate and cup?

It's a solid brass face plate with no markings and the cup seems to be original to the perch. (The paint is no longer on there pieces)

All the transmitters I have seen or am familiar with are bolted to the back of the face plate in one way or another but this face plate shows no such mounting holes. Almost looks light it might screw into the face plate by way of edge threads. I been looking at transmitters on eBay but haven't seen an AE that would seem to fit. Actually, haven't seen any AE transmitters.

Is this the correct face plate? And given a correct face plate, what does the transmitter look like?

Thanks for any pictures, diagrams and/or links to sources.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

poplar1,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Good news is I have the correct cup and face plate. And, yes, it does screw into the back of the face plate.

Bad news, finding that transmitter.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Another question.

The AE 21 came gutted but I found a terminal strip. Question is, how did they insulate the terminal strip from the metal mount, stand off spacers or non-conducting gasket?   ( Sorry for the bad terminology )

AE_Collector

Sort of bad news....a much thinner piece of Bakelite the same pattern as the terminal strip. You might be able to use fiber washer spacers where the three screws go through to hold it to the metal backing or maybe even metal washers for that matter to lift the terminal strip up off of the metal enough.

Terry

stub

TelePlay,
               The thin piece ( 1/32") of bakelite that Terry shows goes first and the 3 fiber washers ( 1/16" thick )go next on the mounting screw holes and the terminal strip , with the mounting screws , that's what's on mine.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield