Main Menu

Is it possable to use this Candlestick

Started by Canuck, February 17, 2013, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2013, 06:45:11 AM
Quote from: Canuck on February 17, 2013, 05:11:16 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 17, 2013, 01:55:34 PM
That indicates that the transmitter circuit is open.  That would need to be fixed before getting a subset.

If you look at the one photo above the transmitter is hooked to the same plate as the yellow should it be matched up with either the red or green? as you can tell I really have no idea about this. ;)

I think I need to clarify this.
One side of the transmitter and one side of the receiver are hooked to the same bus bar as the red wire.
the other side of the receiver is hooked to the green wire bus bar
the other side of the transmitter is hooked to the the yellow wire bus bar.
If I hook up the red wire from the house line to the red wire on the phone and the green wire on the house line to the green wire on the phone I have a complete circuit for the receiver and can hear but the yellow wire is not hooked to anything so not a complete circuit.

To my limited knowledge the house phone only uses the red and green wires the yellow and black in the box are another line is this correct? or should I hook the yellow from the house line to the yellow in the phone?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but thank for all your help.

Phone appears to be wired correctly; the problem is that you are trying to connect it directly to the line (wihout a subset) using the normal line colors red and green. As you found out, connecting the red and green from the phone directly to the line will give you dial tone (when the phone is off-hook) but you cannot transmit.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

When you connect the yellow and green wires to the line, you are completing a series circuit with the transmitter and receiver in series through the hookswitch.  This circuit completely bypasses the use of a subset, and is a way to test the operation of the receiver, transmitter,hookswitch and the cords as a group.  If any one or more of those components are not working, it won't tell us which one.

The red wire is not used in this testing configuration, and is not to be confused with the red wire of the line cord.  Normally, the subset splits the house line red and green from the line cord that has both an AC and a DC component into two parts.  A transmit path and a receive path.  These separate components are then connected to the candlestick desk set via the three wires in the desk set cord.  The receiver circuit is between the green wire and the common red wire, and the transmit circuit is between the yellow wire and the common red wire.  The receive circuit will contain only an AC signal, and the transmit circuit will be both DC and AC.

To reiterate, when connecting the receiver and transmitter in series across the phone line for testing purposes, you just connect the yellow and green from the desk set cord and ignore the red.

Please refer to DSK's hand-written diagram to see this in graphic form.

Please ask questions, its how we all learn.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

I know technically you guys are correct in your assertion it needs a subset to work correctly, BUT if you do connect yellow and green to tip and red to ring, his candlestick will work. I think that is what Canuck is asking.

I think that is what "most" people mean by work. Just to show it off to his friends and pick it up and hear DT or answer an incoming call once or twice. Not the same way a purist thinks. Tough to think of a stick as a daily driver.

Canuck....you get can subsets made out of 302s on the cheap like the pic below...Doug
Kidphone

Canuck

Thanks Doug I will try to dig one up.
Sargeguy here are the pictures you requested

if you want others just ask.

Phonesrfun

The transmitter looks to be in good shape and does not appear to be modified.

So, what is needed is to try to find out why it doesn't work.  Do you have access to a VOM?  (volt ohm meter)

-Bill G

Canuck

I do have a volt meter.
I never hooked up the transmitter (yellow) wire.

Do I have to use a 302 for a subset or can something newer be used?

Phonesrfun

You can make a "subset" using one resistor and one capacitor, which will isolate the DC from the receiving circuit, and most people won't be able to tell the difference.

This "cheater subset" has been described in the forum before, and can be made for just a couple bucks.  I should re-do that information and make a better drawing.

When you say below that you never connected the yellow wire, that seems to be different from before.  I thought you connected yellow and green across the line and got nothing.  Are you saying that connecting yellow and green across the line now works?
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 19, 2013, 11:13:55 AM
This "cheater subset" has been described in the forum before, and can be made for just a couple bucks.  I should re-do that information and make a better drawing.

Bill:
When you do it, could you put a copy of it in the drawings section of the site - - that would make it easier for people to find it when they need the info....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Quote from: DavePEI on February 19, 2013, 11:45:23 AM
Bill:
When you do it, could you put a copy of it in the drawings section of the site - - that would make it easier for people to find it when they need the info....

Dave

Will do.
-Bill G

Canuck

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 19, 2013, 11:13:55 AM

When you say below that you never connected the yellow wire, that seems to be different from before.  I thought you connected yellow and green across the line and got nothing.  Are you saying that connecting yellow and green across the line now works?

I connected the yellow and green together to the green home phone line and the red to the red I could hear a dial tone but could not tell if the transmitter worked.

poplar1

Yellow and green from the phone to the wall jack; red cord from the phone not used. Hold receiver away from your ear when going off-hook or when hanging up.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Canuck on February 19, 2013, 12:56:15 PM
I connected the yellow and green together to the green home phone line and the red to the red I could hear a dial tone but could not tell if the transmitter worked.

You have two wires coming from the wall.  Let's say one is red and one is green.  the normal wall configuration.

Connect the green wire from the phone to green from the wall.  Connect the yellow wire from the phone to the red wire from the wall.  Don't use the red wire on the phone.

-Bill G

Canuck

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 19, 2013, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: Canuck on February 19, 2013, 12:56:15 PM

You have two wires coming from the wall.  Let's say one is red and one is green.  the normal wall configuration.

Connect the green wire from the phone to green from the wall.  Connect the yellow wire from the phone to the red wire from the wall.  Don't use the red wire on the phone.

then what? as in what should i do to test it?

poplar1

You should hear a dial tone and also be able to hear yourself talk. If that works, have someone call you and see that they can hear you.

Canuck

So yes this works, they can hear me in another phone and I can hear them.
So can I use it without a subset as a non dialing non ringing extension?