News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4 pair wiring

Started by Babybearjs, February 24, 2012, 07:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

just thought I'd drop[ this to see what you all say.... my phone system uses Cat5 riser wire.... the key phones I have in use have RJ45 cords on them instead of the regular cordage..the reason is I got the cords and jacks cheaper then the traditional parts, plus I only have a single line and a Intercom on the system...lights and buzzers. anyway the problem I ran into was the reversal of the orang/green pairs.... threw me a bit. the normal USOC wiring is blue/orange/green/brown, but the Cat5 wiring is blue/GREEN/ORANGE/brown.... so the cords did'nt match my jack wiring..... easily solved.... just adjust the cables in each phone.... done... then came the accessories.... I ran 2 pairs of Cat5 cables to each location.... the problem, how to wire the system right..... taditionally, it would go: blue=L1, orange= A Lead, green=L2, Brown=L3.... but I have it wired Blue=L1 orange=L2 green=L3, and brown=A Lead.... (still with me??) and for my lights and buzzers, I have it wired Blue=10VAC/Blue/Wht=Gnd, Orange=18VAC/org/Wht=lamp 1, Green=lamp 2, grn/wht= lamp3, brown=Buzzer, and bwn/wht=signal key... my wiring is based on the old AE187 and ITT 576 telephones...(8 Pair) in my old home I had 3 pair station cable feeding the phone lines, and 4 Pair feeding the accessories.... when I upgraded the system to a full 1A1 system, I kept the wiring scheme for simplistic reasons.... how do you feel about how I wired my system?  should I change it to a more common wiring scheme? or just leave it be....
John

Doug Rose

Color codes wiring standards are in place so any tech can walk in in back of another tech and know what is what. Why Run Backwards You Vomit has been in place long before I became a tech. If you are the only administrator, there are no issues. If you want to leave your legacy to someone else, document or conform to the color codes. If its working, I'd document...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

568B standard data cords and jacks are blue, green, oronge brown. 568A are blue, oronge, green, brown. (oronge and green pairs reversed with each other). So 568A is best for USOC applications however the 3rd and 4th pairs in each standard are not the same as USOC. The 3rd pair has side by side leads as does the 4th pair where as USOC the pairs continue to be split around the centre two conductors.

Non 10A1 / 10A2 sets do just have a pair for each line plus some lamp control leads (I only know how AE 87 & 187 work) but true key system phones need 4 to 6 leads per line key. T, R, A, A1, LG, L leads where A1 & LG are both ground leads that can be commoned up and/or eliminated once you have the first line A1 & LG leads connected to complete the grounds to the key equipment.

Terry

Babybearjs

thanks for the input.... I understand what yoou are saying.... since I made the mess, I'll have to leave it all cleaned up for the next person! and thats what will happen.... when I leave, all my equipment leaves with me.... unless otherwise requested.... as for the wiring, it will just stay in place for the next person... they can arrange it anyway they like.... and since cell phones are all the rage right now, the wiring might just get yanked too when the time comes... but i did want to share this with everyone to see how they felt about my wiring scheme.... different, huh?  who else wants to comment??
John