News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VOIP Provider recommendations?

Started by AMCer, May 01, 2013, 10:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMCer

I'd like to move my telephone numbers to a less expensive provider (currently using Nextiva).

I saw someone recommend Voip.ms so I called them and got a heavily accented guy who when I asked how do I connect my asterisk PBX to his service he replied: "you sign up for an account and then port the number over.  [dead silence]".  <--Not getting a warm fuzzy from voip.ms (anyone use them and are happy?)

Can anyone recommend a good VOIP provider?  I need stability because I DON'T want to lose this phone number.

Adam

I'm sorry you had a bad impression of VoIP.ms.  I have had very good service from them for several years.

Fact is, that's the only way to do it for any VOIP service.  You sign up with the service.  That allows you to try it out, make calls, see if you like it, if it works for you.  You can get a cheap (99 cents!) DID to try out incoming.  Only then, when you're sure they work for you, do you start to port your number to them.

Their minimum deposit is $25, but they will refund a balance if you sign up with them and decide they're not for you.

Re the accent: They're located in Canada. Everybody's got to be some place!  But, they are in the top three or four recommended VOIP providers for North America.  The others you might want to check out are Call Centric, CallWithUs and Anveo.  But I highly recommend VoIP.ms for service and value.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

EdTel

Maybe this is a bit of a delayed response, I'm still new around here  :)
I've been using VOIP.MS for about 3 years now, they are awesome.  This is definitely a 'do it yourself' service geared more towards the techie types, which suits me fine.  The service is inexpensive and rock solid. 

Just for a challenge, I connected one of my AE40 phones to a voip.ms sub-account through a dialgizmo to a NetGear powerline LAN extender, through an SPA122  to my home network.  Amazingly, the calls come through perfectly.  I also use Voip.ms on my laptop on a softphone, it also works great.  Love this service.

Quote from: AMCer on May 01, 2013, 10:47:44 AM
I'd like to move my telephone numbers to a less expensive provider (currently using Nextiva).

I saw someone recommend Voip.ms so I called them and got a heavily accented guy who when I asked how do I connect my asterisk PBX to his service he replied: "you sign up for an account and then port the number over.  [dead silence]".  <--Not getting a warm fuzzy from voip.ms (anyone use them and are happy?)

Can anyone recommend a good VOIP provider?  I need stability because I DON'T want to lose this phone number.

compubit

I currently have VOIP.ms, CallCentric and Ooma.  Ooma is going away as soon as I can remember to call to cancel when I'm at work...

VOIP.ms has been great - wide variety of calling areas available and I've been able to get 85¢ DIDs for the areas I've wanted.

I'll also throw in a shout out for CallCentric.  They work more like a small office system-you get assigned a (777) number (not reachable from the PSTN), and 20 "extensions" (I'm guessing you can get more). Two things I like (but are complex for someone without experience): They have a programmable IVR (helpful for annoying telemarketers), and free DIDs (several areas in New York State) with no cost for incoming calls (outgoing at normal rates ~2¢/minute to US). Calls between the 777 numbers are free.

Hope his helps!
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

dsk

I use callcentric, have N.Y. number, and call rates are OK event to Norway.  I use a prepayed service, and that suits me well.

dsk

19and41

I have had both Vonage and now, OOMA.  Vonage is the cheaper up front cost.  I like each because they each have running call logs online and have a number of other features.  OOMA has a blacklist feature that will answer a chosen number with a polite get lost message.  The call quality is excellent, also.  Vonage was somewhat noise and had intermittent dropouts.  Each offers number porting, also.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke