News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The ones that got away.

Started by Greg G., August 17, 2014, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Been a while since I've bought a really nice vintage phone, so when I found these two being sold as a lot, I put in a bid of $70 for it.  With the internet premium of 20% and shipping, I figured that was still a good deal.  I forgot about it and was outbid by $10 to an onsite bidder.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

It seemed like a pretty good deal, but the bidder probably had a much higher max bid in place that could have been more than you wanted to initially spend.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 18, 2014, 01:24:44 PM
It seemed like a pretty good deal, but the bidder probably had a much higher max bid in place that could have been more than you wanted to initially spend.

In place or in pocket, since it was an onsite bidder (these were on Proxibid).  Plus they could bid more since they weren't paying the internet premium or shipping, so it's really tough to compete with them.  But either way, I really wasn't too disappointed because I usually don't pay premium prices.  I'm content with being patient and hunting for the "under the radar" bargains and outright steals.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

After the experience with the Leich Beehive phone, I am a bit surprise that you're willing to take such a chance again. 

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 18, 2014, 02:52:34 PM
After the experience with the Leich Beehive phone, I am a bit surprise that you're willing to take such a chance again. 

Larry

That was on my mind.  I even considered retracting my bid because of my last experience, but decided to just let it run it's course as I was sure I would have been outbidded.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

OK, who outbid me?
This phone caught my eye because of the straight handset cord, then when I saw the handset lifted I wanted it! I put it on watch and waited, no bids, no watchers. In the last hour I put in my bid of $50.01. I got busy and missed the end, didn't have a chance to outbid the sniper. I know it was one of you!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

I'm really, really, bummed about not getting this one.  It's actually still in progress as I type, (live auction on Proxibid) but it got too rich for my blood, I quit after it got to $180.  It would have been perfect for my metal 302 with a Western Union dial card.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Nobody is going to fess up on the 500??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JimHyak

Harry, I was the sniper. Actually, I ran across the listing at the last minute and bid. I was surprised no one sniped me.
Jim
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

HarrySmith

Cool, I am glad someone here on the forum got it. Hope you enjoy it!
Was not meant to be for me this time, mine will come.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"