News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very early AE80 in black

Started by AE40FAN, January 07, 2014, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

I recently won a black AE80 for a BIN with shipping for under 20 bucks.  Actually, half that with my eBay bucks:-).   It needs work but, something compelled me to want it and I knew it was somewhat of an earlier version.   I received the phone yesterday and I was happy it arrived unbroken.  Dirty, straight rubber cords are badly damaged and will need replacement.   The phone is very heavy, has the early triangular feet, Bakelite handset, thick shell (I believe soft plastic), chrome plungers, and metal fingerwheel.  Ok, great, so I tossed the phone back in the box and I didn' t think much else of it.  This evening I decided to take the phone apart and the dial revealed a BIG surprise!  It's an unusual dial that's either a really early one or a proto-type?  Large plastic number band surrounds the actual dial mechanism which looks exactly like the ones on an AE40.   Inserted in this large plastic dial band is a black porcelain ring with white arrows.  The same shape as an AE40 number dial ring.  Just how rare is this and how old might this phone be?  I wish AE dated their phones!!

**I would greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to sell me replacement black AE80 cords that will fit this phone.  I have a feeling this will be a major challenge finding these.***

G-Man

You are correct that it is an early dial. They are covered in the GTE/GSP Practices in the TCI Library.

Contempra

Quote from: G-Man on January 07, 2014, 08:15:58 PM
You are correct that it is an early dial. They are covered in the GTE/GSP Practices in the TCI Library.

Do you have the link G-man

G-Man

Another clue that your set is an earlier AE80 is that it was manufactured in Chicago instead of Northlake though some were also manufactured at Leich's Genoa factory.

AE40FAN

Hey G-Man,

When did they stop producing these in chicago?

Thanks,

Frank

G-Man

Quote from: Contempra on January 07, 2014, 08:17:39 PM
Quote from: G-Man on January 07, 2014, 08:15:58 PM

Do you have the link G-man

Whoops, sorry, I thought most would have the Library's link bookmarked but here it is....
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

LarryInMichigan

I have a similar AE80 here.  The markings on the base are somewhat different.  The dial is the same.  The handset is bakelite.  The shell is an ABS replacement from much later.

Larry

Contempra

Okay thanks G-Man but what model is ?

AE40FAN

Hey Larry,

Ok, so maybe not that rare of a find after all.  I have a feeling this phone maybe completely original.  Even the paper labels on the cords state "Chicago".  Handset caps i believe are a thin bakelite and shell has somewhat of a musty smell and is thick.  I compared it to my only other AE80 which is an early ABS dawn grey.

-Frank

AE40FAN

I was able to confirm the housing is indeed soft plastic.  I quick way to check if you are unsure (besides smelling it) is to lightly dampen a Q-tip with denatured alcohol and rub in an inconspicuous spot on the inside of the housing.  If  color of housing rubs off on q-tip it more than likely is soft plastic.  Also,  removed the finger stop for cleaning and someone seized the dial and I am unable to move the mechanism or reinstall the fingerstop.  I contacted Steve Hilsz via email and waiting for a reply.  I am confident he can repair it from all the feedback I've read on here.  Also, still looking for replacement cords for this if anyone has some please contact me.

Thanks,

Frank

LarryInMichigan

For me, the quickest way to detect soft plastic is to tap it on a hard surface like a desk top.  The thud sound made by soft plastic is much different than that of hard plastics.

Larry

unbeldi

What do you mean by "soft plastic" in the context of AE telephones?
Is there a history of material use by AE anywhere that would tell what plastics they used over time?

In the context of WeCo products, people use the term "soft plastic" most often for the 500-series sets of the 1950s, but most of the time my impression is they don't really know what they mean with it.

I have seen the term used for the 500-sets, for the 302 color plastic sets, and who knows what else.

Most people, including some eBay "how-to" help, would classify all the plastics used for telephone housings as "hard plastic". They break when bent. Soft plastics are usually  rubber, vinyls, neoprene, polyethylene, etc.

Isn't it time to name these materials correctly and junk such ambiguous usage?

AE_Collector

I think the AE plant moved from Chicago to Northlake in 1958. AE80's came out probably late 1954 or early 1955. This is the earliest dial set up that you will find in an AE 80. They are fairly rare with this dial arrangement but I have seen them on ebaY from time to time.

Terry

AE40FAN

Quote from: unbeldi on January 09, 2014, 01:50:25 PM
What do you mean by "soft plastic" in the context of AE telephones?
Is there a history of material use by AE anywhere that would tell what plastics they used over time?

In the context of WeCo products, people use the term "soft plastic" most often for the 500-series sets of the 1950s, but most of the time my impression is they don't really know what they mean with it.

I have seen the term used for the 500-sets, for the 302 color plastic sets, and who knows what else.

Most people, including some eBay "how-to" help, would classify all the plastics used for telephone housings as "hard plastic". They break when bent. Soft plastics are usually  rubber, vinyls, neoprene, polyethylene, etc.

Isn't it time to name these materials correctly and junk such ambiguous usage?

Unbeldi,
I am not sure what type of "soft plastic" the shell is.  I just know it is pre-ABS for the fact the color rubbed off on a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol.  This would not happen with ABS as I've cleaned many ABS shells with denatured alcohol.  I know AE switched to ABS at some point as I own a later colored AE80 that is indeed ABS plastics.

Thanks,

Frank

HarrySmith

Unbeldi,
The term "Hard" or 'Soft" plastic has been around in phone collecting long before you or I got into it. It works, even if it is not 100% accurate, most in the hobby know what it means. If you want to call them something else, go ahead. Don't excpect everyone in the hobby to follow you. Most sellers on eBay who do not know what phones are made of tend to call them all "Bakelite".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"