News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring for Subset - 50al Candle Stick with 5H Dial

Started by oldphonelover, October 28, 2011, 04:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldphonelover

I made this to share as I could not find one on any site and with the professional help I got from "Phonesrfun" I got the phone rewired and saved a lot of money...

So with GREAT thanks to all and Phonesrfun here is a gift back to all phone nuts! LOL, like me...

The pic is the full layout that Phonesrfun wrote me and I colored mapped it out for you all.

for detail and shopping list go to this blog for more on the subset making and wiring...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.msg39770#msg39770

I had the Oak ringers already. I threw in a pic of the finished phone.

Good luck and always have fun with your phones....  :D

Smiles
Ron

dsk

Nice!
This way to solve it is old and well proved.

The voltage of the capacitor in list is only 50 Volts, this is not whats normally recommended on systems using 90 volt ringing added on the 50V line voltage. We use to recommand to choose a 200V capacitor. This does not say, it want work, it may very well be good enough, and it may break down after some time.

Only time will show. The 200V capacitors are physically bigger, and may not fit into that box.

Try and if you suddenly cant break the dial tone when hanging up, the capacitor is the not good enough.

dsk

oldphonelover

So you suggest to replace the 50v with a 200v? They only had a 250v at radio shack well that do? and thanks for the tip.

dsk

250V will be fine.

When you now already have this setup, give it a try. I have one PABX who not would kill that cap. And if you have it connected to a voip adapter, it will probably work....

If it stops working. (holds the line) change the cap.

dsk

oldphonelover

I well try it and let you know what happens I am on a hard wire house line that also excepts rotary dial tones, lucked out on that as last service in Nevada that does it.

Phonesrfun

That particular cap is an audio cap, and ringing current is not applied.  Its purpose is to block DC from getting into the receiver.  The standard voltage coming from a central office is 48 volts, but under the load of the phone being off hook, it drops down to under 20 volts, so I don't think having a 50-volt cap is a problem.

Naturally, the higher a cap is rated, the better, so one that is rated at 250 volts is safer than a 50 volt.

I appreciate the diagram.  This is very nicely done.  Thanks very much.

-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 30, 2011, 12:57:21 AM
That particular cap is an audio cap, and ringing current is not applied.  Its purpose is to block DC from getting into the receiver.  The standard voltage coming from a central office is 48 volts, but under the load of the phone being off hook, it drops down to under 20 volts, so I don't think having a 50-volt cap is a problem.

Naturally, the higher a cap is rated, the better, so one that is rated at 250 volts is safer than a 50 volt.

I appreciate the diagram.  This is very nicely done.  Thanks very much.

That is what I did believe too, when you are looking closer to the diagram, the common connection to the resistor and cap. is connected to the green line wire.  The ringing goes through the cap, the ringer and back to red line wire, this may give the ringer cap the full voltage.

Removing the ringer, putting in a suitable cap for the ringer (inside the ringer cabinet) will solve it and you may connect the ringer between the line wires at any location without concern of the location of the phone.

dsk