News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oh great, shipping nightmares. Anyone come across this?

Started by Bridie, December 21, 2013, 05:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

My first experience with this Global Shipping rubbish is not shaping up well.  I bought a telephone on ebay and delivery date was scheduled between 16 - 24 December.  Up until today the tracking stopped at Dec. 4 when it was still in IL.  Now it's finally been updated but this is what I see:

In transit - Exception-Awaiting additional delivery information from recipient
Dec-05-13, 15:03 PM, INDEPENDENCE, KY 41051

Now, NOBODY has contacted me to ask for more delivery information, nor has ANYBODY contacted me to indicate there was something wrong.  I gave my full shipping address at time of purchase so don't know how I could've been more clear.

Has anyone ever encountered this?  What are the chances my package is still sitting in KY, forever lost?  Any advice on how to proceed?  I've contacted the seller to see if they can shed the light on the situation.  I don't even know who to contact in the US to see what the heck is going on.

I've bought items from ebay in the past but have never had these problems before!

Bridget
Bridget

paul-f

Shipping delays happen occasionally.

A few years ago, I sent a package from the east coast to the west coast.  As it happens, there were tornados in between, which delayed the trucks.  On top of that, it bounced among post offices in the LA area for an additional 5 days.

A few weeks ago, I ordered something that was shipped Priority (2-day) and took 8 days to arrive.  The tracking was useless until after it was delivered.

if you can't find a contact on usps.com, you can talk with your local postmaster.  They have access to more details than are available on the public web site.

So far, I've never had anything totally lost.  One time a phone poster took about 6  months to arrive.

Good luck.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

I see you are in Nova Scotia.  Is it being tracked by the US Post office or some other carrier?  There must be an 800 number you can call, even from NS to get more information.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Did you try looking up the tracking number on the Canada Post website?  Once it leaves the originating country, little or no tracking information might be shown from that country's postal service.

Larry

DavePEI

On these shipments there is no trackable number until it leaves the Global Shipping warehouse. The way it works is the vendor ships it to Kentucky. It is then prepared for shippiing to Canada, customs forms filled out, taxes paid, etc. Then it is assigned a tracking number. So, if it hasn't left their warehouse, Bridget wouldn't yet have a trackable number...

Doing some Googling, it looks as though the actual shipper is:

Pitney Bowes Inc
1850 Airport Exch Boulevard
Erlanger, KY 41018

Phone: (859) 457-6805

or:

Pittney Bowes Customer Service/Ebay GSP number: 1-888-727-0781 - best number

email: pbisgspcs@pb.com

Dave

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 21, 2013, 07:16:15 PM
Did you try looking up the tracking number on the Canada Post website?  Once it leaves the originating country, little or no tracking information might be shown from that country's postal service.

Larry
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

Thanks for the responses, guys - I appreciate it.  And Dave, thanks for all that info - it's brilliant.  I wouldn't mind it taking another week or two, but it freaked me out that it may be stuck on a shelf in KY while they were waiting for information from the recipient because the seller hadn't addressed it properly, and it not be deliverable.  Argh.  I'm going to contact Pitney Bowes and see if I can find out if the package is still there and what sort of info they need to complete delivery.  I wouldn't mind waiting another month, just so long as they don't lose my beautiful phone LOL

Bridget
Bridget

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on December 21, 2013, 08:25:38 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys - I appreciate it.  And Dave, thanks for all that info - it's brilliant.  I wouldn't mind it taking another week or two, but it freaked me out that it may be stuck on a shelf in KY while they were waiting for information from the recipient because the seller hadn't addressed it properly, and it not be deliverable.  Argh.  I'm going to contact Pitney Bowes and see if I can find out if the package is still there and what sort of info they need to complete delivery.  I wouldn't mind waiting another month, just so long as they don't lose my beautiful phone LOL

Bridget
Hi Bridie:

I hoped it would help. While I don't like Global Shipping, I have found quite a few sellers who don't normally ship to Canada do use Global Shipping to ship here. I find it takes a bit longer, which stands for reason as it has to ship to Erlanger first, then here. Hope the information helps others, too. Took a while to find it, but now we have it!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

As far as I'm aware, Pitney Bowes makes franking machines (they put stamps on envelopes or labels that are paid for by topping up the machine's account), so it won't be themselves shipping it, just arranging the postage payment...

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 21, 2013, 09:02:02 PM
As far as I'm aware, Pitney Bowes makes franking machines (they put stamps on envelopes or labels that are paid for by topping up the machine's account), so it won't be themselves shipping it, just arranging the postage payment...
No, they are Ebay's global shippers in addition to their normal business.

Some info on some of their global shipping services:

http://www.pb.com/services/Mailing-and-Shipping/International-Mail-Services/index.shtml

More on the Global Shipping program from Ebay naming Pitney Boes as their shipper:

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

Okay.  So I heard back from the seller saying she wished I'd reached out to her earlier (I guess she didn't read the part where I said I wasn't aware there was a problem til yesterday!!!!).  She sent me a FedEx slip showing the parcel was delivered and signed for.....yes, it was.....in KENTUCKY!!!  Yes, my parcel was delivered to an address in Kentucky. 

I double-checked my PayPal receipt and she definitely had my correct address.  She must've gotten two of her buyers mixed up.  I sure hope we can resolve this without any unpleasantness.  It took two weeks to go from IL to KY so god only knows how long it will take now to get back to IL and then to me.  Yikes.

I used to buy vintage sewing patterns through ebay all the time and have never ever had this much difficulty.  Grrrrrrrrr.
Bridget

Bridie

Ack, after a few emails and much nail-biting, we've got it figured out.  On Dec 20 it wasn't delivered to KY, it was delivered back to IL from KY.  It's enroute to me here in Halifax. I think the holdup in KY was caused by me asking the seller if she could send it to a different suite # in the same building and it somehow changed the suite # of the KY address instead of my Halifax address....and the "recipient" on the delivery slip wasn't the final destination recipient, it was just the recipient back in IL on the next leg of the journey.

Good grief, what a palava.   ::)  Now that I know the process it won't be such a big deal and I'll know just to calm down and breathe into a paper bag until my parcel arrives ;D  Or do some meditation or yoga or something.
Bridget

twocvbloke

Reminds me of when my friend in the Lone Star State sent me a box of edible goodies one year, and for some reason, the USPS dropped the 9 off the house number (29), and being an oddball (pardon the pun) street that we lived on, all of the houses were odd-numbered, so the house number they sent it as didn't exist, so I had to wait for the package to get into the UK to notify ParcelForce of the error, the paperwork in the pouch my freind attached was correct, but the USPS's own printed label, nope...

It was a good job I caught the error in time, otherwise a load of nice american candy (and proper Oreos) would have been destroyed... :(

Bridie

Yikes, yes it's a good job you caught it.  Can you not get Oreos in the UK?  When I moved back to Canada from Ireland I couldn't get HobNobs for the longest time, or McVities Digestives.  We used to make peanut butter & jam "sandwiches" with the digestives, after a night of cider and Guinness drinking and curry chips eating.  Ewwwww :D
Bridget

twocvbloke

Yeah, we have things that are named and look like Oreos, but they're not the same as the real deal from Nabisco...  :(

I don't usually have Hobnobs or Digestives myself (won't go into details why!!), but I do like the chocolate ones, mostly cos I'm a chocoholic... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on December 22, 2013, 12:15:11 PM
Ack, after a few emails and much nail-biting, we've got it figured out.  On Dec 20 it wasn't delivered to KY, it was delivered back to IL from KY.  It's enroute to me here in Halifax. I think the holdup in KY was caused by me asking the seller if she could send it to a different suite # in the same building and it somehow changed the suite # of the KY address instead of my Halifax address....and the "recipient" on the delivery slip wasn't the final destination recipient, it was just the recipient back in IL on the next leg of the journey.
Hi Bridie:

I am glad you managed to get it all sorted out. Alas, these things can happen. While Global Shipping can be a pain, there are uses for it. I have used it a few times where the seller won't ship direct to Canada, but they will ship via G.S. It takes a few days longer, and it is a bit of a pain as you don't get a tracking number until the item hits Kentucky and they have sent the parcel on.

So far, though, it has always gotten the item here! I am glad, though I was able to find the contact info for them - hopefully it will save someone grief some day!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001